How can I get this finish?

genethomas

Hi

I'm looking to achieve a similar light finish to this neck. I figured it would need a light dye maybe to help bring out the grain before being lacquered.

Does anyone have any dye colour / brand suggestions? (My neck is flamed maple but not quite this custom shop level so I'm not expecting exact results!)

Thanks
Gene

Attachments

• P_8.jpg
    P_8.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 194
  • P_7.jpg
    P_7.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 180
That looks like a plain ol' clear over flame maple to me... Either clear nitro or poly.

If you're set on trying to pop the grain a little you could use a very light staining of tea or some highly diluted amber dye before finishing.

A wipe of shellac followed by a finish such as Tru Oil or lacquer would probably get you there.

That's just a natural finish on this one. The wood just happens to be quite contrasty.

The lighting and viewing orientation matter a lot too:

With a spot light:
dTA8Yp9.jpg

Without it, just ambient light from an overcast sky:
5vs7NBb.jpg

Same ambient lighting as the prior picture, but viewed at an angle where figuring nearly disappears:
2MOjGA7.jpg

That is a "water white finish" or as the name intones it is as clear as a glass of water. It will not yellow in any way as it ages and it tends to be made as an acrylic lacquer. Some times it will look a little like watered down milk in the can but that is because the acrylic resins lean toward to looking like Elmer's glue. You don't mention how you plan on applying your chosen finish but what ever you choose, make sure it is clear non yellowing. The grain on any wood I have ever finished will pop just like the picture you showed so you will not have any additional steps beyond final finish sanding and applying your clear.

As others have said, it's just a standard, totally clear top coat. As a general rule a tough full-gloss finish, like polyester, will give a higher-contrast look to whatever wood or paint is underneath it, though some oil or wax finishes can also provide a lot of 'pop'; Wudtone make some semi-glossy wipe-on finishes which are specifically formulated to help maple figure stand out without needing a thick full gloss. Adding a very, very light amber dye and then sanding it back a little can also help pop the figure.

Back