Home/studio amps?

cromulent

What do you fellas use for relatively low-volume playing, i.e. home studio recording, small gigs, etc.? I've been using a Blues Junior as a pedal platform, plus some other small things (Pignose, etc., mainly for wet-dry), but I'm getting tired of the BJ's "flubbiness", if you know what I mean. I was thinking of getting a tweed Champ, but figured I'd solicit some info from y'all first. There's also that new Koch little combo. WDYT?

Me ... I just use my Yamaha JX40, which has no problems at low or high volumes. I also I have a blackstar fly that colors the sound, but in a nice way, but that's not what you need for monitoring a home recording. My recommendation is a Yamaha MS 101 that is very faithful, you can find them used. I know there's fancier stuff and others will chime in, I'm just very basic.

Last edited:
What do you fellas use for relatively low-volume playing, i.e. home studio recording, small gigs, etc.? I've been using a Blues Junior as a pedal platform, plus some other small things (Pignose, etc., mainly for wet-dry), but I'm getting tired of the BJ's "flubbiness", if you know what I mean. I was thinking of getting a tweed Champ, but figured I'd solicit some info from y'all first. There's also that new Koch little combo. WDYT?
I am enjoying my Quilter Aviator Mach 3. Cranked tones at whisper level or LOUD as heck if wanted. Sounds great to my ears. Light weight. I sold my Fender Princeton 65 reissue with a few mods 12" speaker etc. as the Quilter sounded better to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fender Champion 40 at home and Blackstar Fly at the cottage. But I rarely ever have the volume up at all due to people always being home and not having a dedicated practice space. :(

My bass amp is a classic SWR LA12. Bought before Fender acquired SWR. Just like my Jackson KE3 was bought before Fender acquired Jackson :cautious:

I just have a couple of modded Princetons and put pedals in front of them.

For low or no (or high) volume , Fractal AXE FX. I keep that downstairs for my gig load ins. Upstairs in my office / music room I have a Mesa MK V 35 that works well with reasonable volume

I also have a Marsh "Buffalo Reverb" handwired brownface Princeton with master volume with 1X12 Weber alnico Blue Dog, and a one watt Marshall Dsl1cr with 8" speaker.

I have a Laney L5 Studio which sounds great, but most of the time I find myself using a Line 6 HX Stomp into headphones when playing at home.

I love and still have a Blues Junior as well as my favorites, the Super Reverb and the Bassman. Unfortunately, these amps love to cook a bit before they give up that really sweet tone, but that is a problem with the big boys with 4 speakers.

I tried the Fender Tonemaster version of the Super Reverb and was blown away. In fact, I have the Tonemaster version sitting right next to the tube version. It sounds nearly identical with the main difference being, almost zero noise out of the tonemaster, it has built in attentuator so I can hit its sweet spot at hush quiet levels, and it has digital outputs that I can use to go into my DAW or what not, and even listen to in headphones, with the same tone!

I'm not saying its for everyone, but man, it greatly improved my life :)

I've recently been using the Victory V4 version of The Jack. It's a full tube preamp with a solid state power section and built in Two Notes DynIR's. You can also (simultaneously) plug it into a speaker cabinet if you have a way to mic one up. It's great for playing quietly, or with headphones. And it works awesomely for recording, either direct, or by micing a cab. Takes pedals great, too. And if you DO decide to gig with it, it's great for that. I've built a pedalboard around it so that if I ever gig, I can just take that and a 1x12 cab if I feel like I need the stage volume.

Fryette Power Station, get cranked tones at any volume. No other attenuator has even come close, has to be the best piece of equipment I've bought in 30 years. I'm not really an effects guy but being able to add a loop to all my old amps is a nice bonus.

I wanted to like Tweed Champs, but it's not my sound. Currently I've got reissue Princeton with a Swart Night Light Jr, which I like quite a lot and would also work for small gigs, I ever managed to do that. I've also used a Strymon Iridium for playing with headphones and DI recording.

I’ve got my 70’s Princeton Reverb that I’ve done a few mods to, but it’s still not a “quiet” amp. I’m thinking of something like a Katana Air for practice, I use Waza Air headphones now and they are fantastic.

My main amp is a 50 watt Supro Statesman head on a homemade 2x12 pine cab with Celestion Alnico Creams. When that volume is not appropriate I plug my headphones into a Strymon Iridium.

My main amp is a 50 watt Supro Statesman head on a homemade 2x12 pine cab with Celestion Alnico Creams. When that volume is not appropriate I plug my headphones into a Strymon Iridium.
That is a lot of power too, are you sure that thing is also UL listed?

Back