Holo Flake / Psychedelic / Relic Strat and Updates

Wizard of Wailing

My newest Strat is a hardtail with a Warmoth Holo Flake body.  The neck is a Musikraft quartersawn maple neck with a 14 radius and 90 X 55 SS frets.  The fretboard is Brazilian Walnut (which they say is reclaimed from the Coney Island boardwalk). I finished it myself with Tru Oil.  The pickguard is from Quickguards. Pickups are Bare Knuckle aged white Apaches in the neck and middle, with an aged white Rebel Yell in the bridge.  The bridge is a relic from Callaham.  Tuners are locking Sperzels in pink.  I have also put some new necks and pickguards on some of my other Strats, so here are some updated photos.
    I just posted a better photo of the holo flake at the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_5448.JPG
    IMG_5448.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_5451.JPG
    IMG_5451.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 633
  • IMG_5452 (1).JPG
    IMG_5452 (1).JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 647
  • Holo Flake new photo.JPG
    Holo Flake new photo.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 1,096
That’s a really nice collection of Strats.  :eek:ccasion14:
Is that EMG’s in the pink one? And Lace sensors in the top one?

Yes.  The pink one has an EMG 85X in the bridge and an SAX in the neck and middle positions.  The red one has Gold Lace Sensors and a Dimarzio AT-1 in the bridge.

Nice Strat!, In fact, they're ALL pretty damned nice! Interestingly enough, I was just looking at the Quickguards web site. How do you like their product?

Very nice guitars. That holoflake looks good with that pickgurd. Lookin' fine.

I had a good experience with Quickguards.  I had the option of gloss or satin, and he was able to give me one without a hole where that horrible volume knob usually goes (you can see I don't have that on any of my strats).  This started as a pink paisley strat build so that's why I had the pickguard.  However, my plans changed and I ordered the Holo Flake.  Now I'm building a paisley tele with a mint green pickguard.  The All Parts tele body I bought can be seen in the "Just Out of the Box" category under New Body (Non-Warmoth).

So, I'm not the only one who doesn't like where Fender puts the volume knob. It's my only real objection to the Strat design.

Rgand said:
So, I'm not the only one who doesn't like where Fender puts the volume knob. It's my only real objection to the Strat design.

I’m guessing it’s a very large community that doesn’t agree with Fender’s volume knob placement.
I put it as far away as possible  :laughing7:

146757165901768000_resized.jpg

Each to their own, but the Strat volume knob is ideally placed for violin volume type swells with the little finger.

Exactly. And even if you don't do that sort of thing, the knob is in a convenient place to make rapid or frequent changes, which is a much more common activity and not one that you want to be reaching any distance to accomplish, abandoning the strings to do so. The complaint that it's "in the way" has always seemed strange to me.

The way I play, my pinky finger is in that spot a lot.  Volume swells aren't a big part of my playing.  Sometimes I like to use them with octaves to get a Hendrix vibe. Other than that I can only think of 3 songs that I use them in:  "Somebody Get Me a Doctor" by Van Halen, "The Wanton Song" by Led Zeppelin, and Roy Buchannan's version of "Sweet Dreams".  Roy does alright for himself with telecaster volume swells.
                                                                    [youtube]ClRHx5FJ9yA[/youtube]

I forgot my favorite volume swell song of all time (to play and listen to).  I believe he's using his Les Paul on this track, however I'm not sure if he's using his volume knob or a pedal.  I owe my love of this song to Miami Vice.
                                                                            [youtube]mfmWvfU3dNw[/youtube]

That is a great track and usually on a Les Paul, although live he has played it with others. Notably the Pensa Suhr at the Mandela Concert. Knopfler uses a Volume pedal.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S4zN3kOqY0[/youtube]

I just thought I'd add on this closeup of the seafoam green strat's neck.  It's made of quartersawn roasted maple and has a nice looking fretboard.

Attachments

• seafoam green neck.JPG
    seafoam green neck.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 402
You have to respect the commitment to the theme here :icon_thumright: !

Back