Help me find the thread

TBurst Std

While I still have 3 in the works, thinking on another that I’ve had planned.

As I recall, someone posted up an overlay of outlines/pics of a 24 fret soloist and a 7/8 Strat.  Help me find it.  Need to make a decision as there is a Unique Choice Koa top talking to me.  As well as Pao Ferro necks are back as an option.

Strike while the iron is hot they say.

Many thanks, but that wasn't it.  I'll keep searching. That is unless I get a positive answer from the W on an off menu item.

TBurst Std said:

As I recall, someone posted up an overlay of outlines/pics of a 24 fret soloist and a 7/8 Strat.  Help me find it.  Need to make a decision as there is a Unique Choice Koa top talking to me.  As well as Pao Ferro necks are back as an option.

oof, all these words and not even a "please"

BroccoliRob said:
TBurst Std said:

oof, all these words and not even a "please"
Actually that's how you know I am not a BOT

But notice I said thanks

LOL

Well that call ended with a no LOL. So I need to make a decision. As some dimensions are not available and the other company whose stuff I am sticking in there isn;t picling up the phone, I'll have to postpone till next week.

The No was to (at it was alluded to it could be back in the early 2000s), you cannot off menu order a bridge position ala 7/8 (the term used years ago was short scale it). That would have done it for me, a full size Soloist with the ability to use the 7/8 neck, but alas No go.

So now to decide, Soloist with 25 1/2 24 fret or a 7/8 strat. The issue is I plan to put a Sustainiac in it, and with the smaller rear route of the 7/8 strat, I am not sure the board will fit in it. (Also would like 3 knobs so I can control the aspects of the Sustainiac with the 3rd).

I think I will just go Soloist. I already have 2 guitars with 24 frets, I think I have used them about 5% of my soloing time.

Tell me, what should I do? I mean the Unique Piece I'd like of Koa is there, and Pao Ferro is back on menu as neck wood. Need to strike as the stars may not align again LOL.

(PS: The full plan, Hog back, Koa front. Off menu LW option. Rear routed. SSH route. Sustainiac in the neck, Bill/Becky Lawrence in the middle and bridge. L500L and Forgot what they suggested as the SC. NFT route, black hardware, All Pao Ferro neck, LST nut and black hipshot open gears.
Picture a Reb Beach, Vito Bratta, and Phil Collen all combined)

OH, the other dilemma , if I go Soloist, flat or carved top?

As this will NOT be a cheap build, why not go all out with a carved top for the extra 100 and make it truly special?

How about soloist, skip the bridge rout, and have it done by a local luthier on receipt to 7/8 spacing?

More $ for sure, so there's that, however you sound committed to a not cheap build already.

A thought I’ll sleep on, but as I already know more about wiring than the local luthier, not sure I’ll trust his ability.  As I’m still moving in and my soldering station is yet to be discovered, I took in a build to have him finish wiring.

He had a hard time understanding something fairly simple.

And with thoughts as well as a PM, I think I’ll go flat vs carved on this. All the items I am pulling attributes from are flat tops. 

Perhaps just go soloist with a 22 fret neck. If 22 frets are good enough for Steve Morse and 21 for Yngwie and they seem to have enough notes available etc...especially if you already have 24 fret guitars. 

I think that's the way I'd go, and for the reason you point out. Although, the temptation is always to build that one guitar that'll satisfy 99.9% of what you can do. Of course, we're usually barking at the moon :icon_biggrin:

On a slightly related note, for those of you that have a soloist and strat side by side, how tangible is the size difference. I know the soloist footprint is smaller but by how much? As I understand, on a soloist the cutouts are deeper and the leg and belly carve are deeper which make the waist narrower, is the body also shorter overall too (neck heel to end pin)?

Also, here you go (I think):
https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=32511.0

bruzanhd said:
On a slightly related note, for those of you that have a soloist and strat side by side, how tangible is the size difference. I know the soloist footprint is smaller but by how much? As I understand, on a soloist the cutouts are deeper and the leg and belly carve are deeper which make the waist narrower, is the body also shorter overall too (neck heel to end pin)?

Here's a strat and soloist that I've been slow to get started on, for comparison.

Attachments

• 16478793059911.jpg
    16478793059911.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 16478792656490.jpg
    16478792656490.jpg
    1,021.9 KB · Views: 50
Sadie-f said:
bruzanhd said:

Here's a strat and soloist that I've been slow to get started on, for comparison.

Thank you. Looks to me that the soloist is ever so slightly (0.25-0.5 inch) smaller in most dimensions?

bruzanhd said:
Sadie-f said:
bruzanhd said:

Thank you. Looks to me that the soloist is ever so slightly (0.25-0.5 inch) smaller in most dimensions?

Yes, I agree. 1/2 in. difference from strap button to strap button.

What looks like an inch difference in distance to the nut is exaggerated by camera parallax,  The actual difference is more like 1/2 in.

Also, I don't know how visible it is. The fillet radius around all the edges of the body is considerably larger on the strat. The soloist is quite small, the radius is about 1/4 in.

Back