TheDrizzle

Got this mail last night.  This is on a CT Tele ordered with:
LP Controls
Vol 1 Control
Tone 2 Control
LP 3-way switch (upper)
1/2" Side Jack Hole
--------------------------------------------------------
Our shop foreman noticed that you ordered a 1/2 ” Side Jack Hole to go with your LP Controls rout.  We’ve recently discovered that there is a conflict with these two being selected together.  Here are the options to correct that for you.

1.) Keep the LP controls configuration and change the Side Jack Hole to either a 3/4 ” or 7/8” hole.  This would require a Side Jack Plate (we have two different styles in stock) to mount to the body.
a. Black Square is $6.50 http://www.warmoth.com/Square-Side-Jack-Plate-Black-P840C68.aspx
b. Black Football is $6.50 http://www.warmoth.com/Football-Side-Jack-Plate-Black-P125C68.aspx
2.) Have us change the controls to the Tele configuration.  This would allow you to keep the 1/2“ jack hole.  But, the configuration is different and there is one less hole for switches.
3.) Have us change the controls to the Strat configuration.  This would allow you to keep the 1/2 “ jack hole.  But, the configuration is different and there is one less hole for switches.
4.) We can eliminate the Side Jack Hole from your order.  You would then be able to drill it yourself and put it in the a different location.

Which option would you prefer?
----------------------------------------------------
I'm trying to figue out what the actual problem is.  Will the 'Deep Jack' for the 1/2" hole bump into the Tone 2 pot?  Not sure why having a bigger side hole will correct this problem.  I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.  My questions are really as follows:

- He mentions I can go with Strat controls.  I didn't think they offered Strat controls for a CT Tele (at least they don't in the builder)?
- Strat controls would have basically the same layout as the Vol 1 / Tone 2 LP controls, not sure why this would solve the problem.
- For some reason it seems like I can't use the upper LP switch - this doesn't really have anything to do with the Jack hole, does it?  It's on the other side of the freaking guitar! =)
- Can I put a 3-way switch in the Strat 5-way selector hole?  I don't need a 5-way for an HxH setup.

Anyway, now I have to decide on a fix.  I'd be open to suggestions if anyone has them - thanks.

Throw in the Planet Waves Jack. http://www.warmoth.com/Planet-Waves-Stereo-Jack-Gold-Plated-P733C68.aspx
Best jack out there, double contacts, cable stays in nice & solid, and if memory serves, may even thread into the eletrosocket cup (Double check with staff to be sure).

I have this in my Tele and I rest assured knowing that the cable isn't going anywhere and my signal is always intact.

I agree with Tony. The Planet Waves jack is a nice part. I don't know why Warmoth even offers that deep panel jack. It's not really designed for use in a guitar.

The square/football jackplates or an Electrosocket will all fit a 7/8" hole, they'll all accept the Planet Waves (or any standard 1/4") jack, and they'll all work with any control scheme.

That Deep Panel Jack is the one design flaw I regret in my TFS6.  You can't maintain it, bend the tabs back into place, etc... All you can do is replace it.  My next TFS, likely a 7 string will have the strat jack/PW combo in the upper wing like the Jackson "V's" and "RR's".

I wish Ibanez would get wise to this & stop using them too.  Maybe like the Strat Jack on the bottom like the ESP GL's.

ESP_kamikaze_iv_13_OutputJack_zps4e54c6e0.jpg

I spoke to W and they confirmed the deep panel jack would bump the Tone 2 pot in an LP setup.

So after reading your responses and talking to my 'guitar tech', I switched to the Electrosocket 7/8" hole size.  I'll check out the PlanetWaves jacks as well, thanks for the recommendation.

TheDrizzle said:
I'm trying to figue out what the actual problem is.  Will the 'Deep Jack' for the 1/2" hole bump into the Tone 2 pot?  Not sure why having a bigger side hole will correct this problem.

1/2" jacks are very long, while most other sizes are much shorter.

Back