Help choosing humbuckers for my build

whiskyboy1977

Hi all,

I'm looking for some ideas for my current build (http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=18374.0) and I know someone round here will be able to help.

I was originally thinking of JB/Jazz as I have it in my PRS CE24 and love the tone but I'm now unsure if it's suitable for an Alder/Splated maple strat with a Floyd Rose.

I'm looking to get a Reb Beach esq tone as I do a lot of legato/tapping but I can't go down the active EMG 85 route as I don't have the routing for active pick ups.

I'm happy to look at any suggestions and price isn't really a consideration (within reason) but availablity in the UK is a must.

Cheers,

Whiskyboy1977

You might try Bare Knuckle Nailbombs, Painkillers or Warpigs. They are all very high output for passive pickups, but clean up very nicely as you roll back the volume, and they're made in the UK! I am particularly happy with my Nailbombs!
:guitarplayer2:

I have the JB/ Jazz in my SG and it is a nice combo ..  and a PRS Dragon II in the neck of my new one ..  however  my favorite humbucker is the Benedetto PAF .. it has it all  , warm and creamy and yet  very articulate.  I even prefer it to the original PAF's in my vintage Les Paul.  It handles the crunch of heavy disttortion without mushing out.

Since your in the UK ... I would go with Bare Knuckles for sure !!
Which one's, have a listen to there sound clips for starters.
I have a Mule (N) & Abraxas (B) on this ..
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17679.0
They sure make great Pup's  :icon_thumright:
All great reviews on them & haven't seen anyone that doesn't like them as yet.

I took a plunge on these after another forum member here mentioned them.
Was very happy I did too.  :icon_biggrin:

I've actually been in touch with bare Knuckle to see what they thought was best suited to my body/neck etc.  They've got back to me super fast and suggested the a calibrated set of Holy Divers are they way forward to combat the brightness of the guitar.  I've given them a listen and they sound awesome, kind of like the old Dimazio Super Distortion meets JB and yet...somehow better.  £200 is steep for a set of pick ups but if they sound half as good as the clips then it'll be worth it.  Anyone use these currently?

I don't understand wanting to "combat the brightness of the guitar". That's what filters (tone controls or EQ) are for. You can always filter out frequencies you don't want/like, but there are no adjustments you can make to create them if they don't exist in the first place. So, it seems to me using a pickup that won't even produce certain frequencies (higher or lower, as the case may be) is a decision to cripple the instrument. Better to have a capability and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to talk you out of any particular brand/style of pickup. I'm just pointing out that you may be purposefully dulling the bit thinking you're only ever going to drill wood without considering that the day may come when you need to drill metal. Bits that are sharp/hard enough for metal work equally well in wood, so you kill two birds with one stone.

whiskyboy1977 said:
it's not the route for the actual pick ups but for the battery box that I don't have. 

On a rear routed guitar, a battery box is just a convenience so that you don't need a screwdriver to change the battery the 2 or 3 times a year that you might need to do it.

So if EMG's are what you really want, just put a battery clip (or bag) inside the control cavity and you're good to go.

Thanks for all the replies, it's all very useful. I've had a play around with some EMG's today and even though they're on someone else's guitar and they would sound different on my build they really weren't for me. I've had a listen to the Holy Divers on the Bare Knuckle website and they sound amazing! I know I haven't played with them myself but they just sound so good. I think I'm sold on these and have found a set for £180 which isn't too bad.

I've BKPs on mine (VHII) and they are a quality product...that sound unbelievable! You wont be disappointed!

if you want high output with passive pickups its hard to beat either old faithful DiMarzio X2N or DiMarzio D Activator Xs.

EMG makes some very nice passive high-output pickups. I just got a guitar with a set of them, and I'm impressed. Best part -- no batteries.  :cool01:

Yeah, batteries in a guitar bother me. But, in reality, most on-board electronics use very little juice, so the batteries tend to last a long longer than one might imagine. I used to have a Levinson Blade that had some on-board EQ/boost and I only changed the battery in that thing maybe twice a year, and only then out of fear, not because it was exhibiting any symptoms of dying on me.

The other thing that still terrifies me for no good reason is tragic memories of the batteries from many, many moons ago that would leak and/or expand and ruin whatever they were installed in. Used to be fairly common to throw away battery-powered devices for that very reason, and it usually didn't take that long for it to happen. While it's possible, you hardly ever see that happen any more. Most of the batteries you buy today have fresh dates on them that are 3 or 4 years in the future where they'll still be good, just not quite 100%.

Back