Hello Guitar Freaks! =)

musitron

Hello all!  I'm really stoked to have found this board, and have very much enjoyed looking around at all you folks' stunningly beautiful instruments.  :icon_biggrin:

So, after years of kicking around the idea of building my dream guitar, I finally took the plunge.  I'd priced custom fabrication from shops that would deliver a finished product, but I figured, "Where's the fun in that?"

I had my eye on a body in Warmoth's showcase... when I came across it, my heart nearly stopped, as it was pretty much what I would've designed for myself:

7241411296_6284625790_m.jpg
7241411168_598b4c034c_m.jpg
7241411322_bac164fd89_m.jpg

Chambered construction, swamp ash body with FREAKING GORGEOUS quilted maple top.  The pictures really don't do it justice.  Natural masked binding is the icing on the cake.  The only thing I would've changed is the tremolo routing... never had much use for one myself, but it was already routed and having the same body custom-built instead of in the showcase would've been $$$ more just for a hard tail.  I'm probably just going to block it off in the end.

My very first guitar was a Squier Strat that had a flamed maple neck on it that had NO business being on a Squier.  I've never seen another neck that matched that level of flame.... until this neck.  I did have this one custom-made, not from the showcase. 

7241410900_553445628d_m.jpg
7241411112_a5169291af_m.jpg

7241411056_545525d72a_m.jpg

7241410990_30c9e01dd1_m.jpg

The pictures REALLY don't do the flame justice at all.  The grain is darn near holographic...

Now, the one thing I expected to be done by the factory that wasn't was drilling the tuning key studs.  I opted for the Schallers that Fender uses on the American Deluxe series, which have two studs underneath the tuning key to prevent turning in the hole.  I've seen a jig that StewMac sells, and a great friend of mine lives about 100 miles away that did pro carpentry for years and has a drill press I can travel to use.  Still up in the air on that one; suggestions appreciated.  :dontknow:

Speaking of drilling holes, the controls are a bit unconventional.

7241410822_2984945706_m.jpg

Magnetic pickups are Lindy Fralin Woodstocks, with a bass plate installed on the bridge pickup.  The bridge is an LR Baggs X-Bridge, which has piezo pickups in it for an acoustic sound.  Now, I would NEVER use that for a recorded acoustic sound, but for live applications, not having to deal with feedback is such a bonus.  Plugged in at stage volume, most of the nuance and warmth of my Taylor is lost anyway, and the LR Baggs bridge I've used before and provides a pretty good crispness that cuts through the live mix and still sounds "acoustic."  Output jack is to be stereo, to run the magnetics to the Egnator and the bridge to a POD XT Live for reverb and a little compression and out to the PA.  I'm pretty excited to hear what they sound like simultaneously...

The magnetic pickup controls are run by a board I got from Awesome-Guitars.com:

http://awesome-guitars.com/1-products-02.htm 
(They shuffle the product page IDs around every now and again, but currently this leads to their 3-coil assembly.  Sorry if it doesn't work in the future.)

Six switches; the first three control on-off, and the second three control series-parallel relationships.  The site has a full chart of the combinations, but the idea is the on-offs can go either up or down; if you have the first two both up, the neck and middle pickups are in phase.  If one is up and one is down, they are out of phase.  Middle is off.  For the second set of switches, if the switch is up, it's parallel; down, in series.  No middle on these.  On my Squier from years ago I put in toggle switches to control the pickups and it worked for me live, so I'm not so worried about getting crossed up live switching pickups.  I'm going to have to drill the holes for the pickup switch set, so off to my friend's drill press!  They were helpful enough to include a drill template, so yay for them.  :)

The one big question I do have for the community is about shielding... so, these are single-coil pickups going into a nice, loud tube amp.  The body is rear-routed, so the standard pickguard shielding won't apply in this case.  I know I'm going to have to make sure there's no continuity between the bass plate on the bridge pickup and the shielding, else the various switching options will yield, shall we say, interesting results.  Non-conductive tape and a bit of glue on the mounting screws should take care of this for me.  Anyone ever done much shielding with this style of routing?  Did you adhere the standard copper plating to the pickup cavities?  How much did it show through?  If it did show through, did it bother you?  Was it a huge PITA?  :dontknow:

Anyway, I know this was long, and I hope all of you out there are shredding, plucking, strumming, and rocking out every chance you get.

:rock-on:

J

Man, that looks like a great project.  Keep the pictures coming!  Are you the type of guy who plays one guitar, or do you have a collection?

-Mark

Mark,

After completing this I'll have four instruments that will be in the rotation, each with its purpose:

An old red quilt-top Schecter S-1 Elite I picked up for cheap with HOT HOT HOT SD pickups in it; this one doesn't really do clean, and isn't asked to.

A green quilt-top baritone that was custom made by a company I wouldn't endorse.  The instrument itself is absolutely gorgeous and well-made; however, there we so many problems with the people there I couldn't recommend them in good conscience.  Super-stratish, with Dimarzio Breed HB pickups and Jimmy Page wiring.  28" scale, 27 frets, mahogany with quited maple top, maple neck, ebony fretboard, SS 6105 frets, Tone Pro hard tail bridge.  Everyone should own a baritone.  =)

An Ibanez AG95 full hollowbody with flatwound 11s on it; picked up for cheap to fill that jazzbox realm a solid just can't fill.  Also, the neck pickup on Ch3 on my Egnater Tourmaster is surprisingly great for blues soloes, except bending the flat 11s is a bit tough for me.  Yeah, I know, it's made in China, but goodness, it is pretty:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ag95-electric-guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko0VLqpcWto

It has ceramic pickups on it, which must be changed at some point, but from the looks of it it's going to be a royal pain.

This blue Warmoth is going to be replacing my original used-to-be-black-and-white Squier Fat Strat, which has been beaten into submission in the most loving way; but now it's time to retire that one.  :sad1:

Oh, and an American-made Peavey Predator I got on CraigsList for $30; I couldn't pass it up.  I plugged it in to make sure it worked and basically hardly ever did anything with it.  My dad's girlfriend has it right now.

musitron said:
Oh, and an American-made Peavey Predator I got on CraigsList for $30; I couldn't pass it up.  I plugged it in to make sure it worked and basically hardly ever did anything with it.  My dad's girlfriend has it right now.

I love my Peavey Predator.  If someone stole it, I'd look under the couch cushions for enough spare change to buy two more. 

The neck is surprisingly solid - and Peavey's answer to the question of how to make a one-piece neck stable appears to be ripping the neck lengthwise and then reversing the resulting halves and re-gluing.  Interesting to have a glue-seam up the middle of the fingerboard, but it plays really nice.

Bagman67 said:
Peavey's answer to the question of how to make a one-piece neck stable appears to be ripping the neck lengthwise and then reversing the resulting halves and re-gluing.

Hrm, I'll have to look for that once I get it back...  I don't think I played that guitar for more than 30 minutes total.  Nothing wrong with it at all, and sounds actually pretty ok (all things considered), but several days after getting it my dad calls up and asks if his girlfriend could borrow a guitar, and since it had 9s on it (and was $30 with no sentimental value) she's had it ever since. 

J

That awesome guitar site sure has a product "description" that hits more bases than.... a drunken Babe Ruth?

Compared to your competitors who only has "the same old 5 pickup tones", you will be light years ahead of them all. This will quickly lead to more bookings, more income and more recognition for you with people frequently saying, ("hey, there's that guitarist with that great unique sound.")

Man, that just happened to me... :sad1: :tard: :sad1: If only I'D had 700 % more tones! I didn't even know people could write like this anymore:

Some people (I refer to the negative and degrading voices on those raggy chat boards) have said that having 6 switches on their 3-pickup coil instrument is "too complicated." I wonder how these challenged people tie their shoelaces. It's so funny because these naysayers, who live in their mommies and daddies basement, will get into their parents car that has a radio with three bands (FM1, FM2, AM) and 10 buttons to store and select specific radio stations. That's a total of 30 radio stations to program to these buttons (and also be excessively challenged to remember which station is assigned to which button — DUH). These radios also have a programmable CD player, talking GPS, Bluetooth, MP3, internet radio, Sync, Sirius Satellite radio with hundreds of stations, voice recognition, etc. And this is not complicated? But nary a complaint from these self-appointed "experts". Do you use all these complex features? Some people do and some don't. Would you settle for a radio with just 1 band, 3 buttons and nothing else? Of course not! You want MORE choices — just in case you WANT to use them. None of these naysayer weenies seem to complain about the remote controls they will use to view their parents' T.V., DVD Player, and other electronic entertainment boxes — most of which have 50 or more buttons. Where is their cry for "fewer buttons?" How about their daddy's computer they use with — holy smoke... 94 mind-numbing keys on the keyboard! But oh, I forgot... there's no place where these pimply-faced cellar-dwellars can easily, and anonymously, disrupt others with their negative whining and complaining to get their "15 munutes of fame" — at least not for radios, computers and remote controls. Also know that these people do not make their living playing guitar professionally so as two-finger guitar players, they're just not qualified to pass judgement.

And here I thought being a pimply-faced cellar troll living in mommies basement was a good thing.... :toothy11: I'm going to send them extra money just cause they're so awesome.

Welcome!

Love the blue! Gonna be a sweet looking guitar. I agree with Shadowhand, it will look better without a pickguard.

:kewlpics:

I dunno why more people don't do flamey necks. Birdseye looks like the neck has the pox.

That's gonna look nice when it's all bolted together. Good color choice (blue my favorite color)

Welcome aboard  :icon_thumright:
Nice looking guitar.  :toothy10:

The stew mac tuner jig is very good, thats if your making a few.
Otherwise plenty of info on how it's done.
Sperzels you get a template on the side of the box. (not sure on the one's you have thou)
Warmoth don't do that for anyone. (tuner pin holes)

:dontknow:  May-be to many switches for live use …. but thats what you want.
Personally I can't come to grips with the CBS headstock …. again a personal thing.

Warheart87 said:
I agree with Shadowhand, it will look better without a pickguard.
:dontknow: .... You guys gotta read more clearly.  :icon_scratch: ......... No mention of using one !!

musitron said:
The body is rear-routed, so the standard pickguard shielding won't apply in this case. 

Shadowhand said:
Please tell me you're not going to put a pickguard on that awesomeness... :sad:

Oh HECK no!!!! 

Personally, I don't understand a body with an absolutely stunning top half-covered by a pickguard, but that's just me.  The top routing is easier to deal with as far as building the thing, but I'll take a one-time headache.  :laughing7:

J

StubHead said:
That awesome guitar site sure has a product "description" that hits more bases than.... a drunken Babe Ruth?

Ok, yes, the site is a bit over the top.  All they need are more frames and some garish colors and it'd be straight out of 1998.  And not defending hyper-zealous way they come off about their product.  However...

All I really care about is, "Does they thing they're selling me do what I need it to?"  I'm not the world's best solderer, and the fact that it's PCB with screw-down terminals really appealed to me.

And as far as "I have 14982734% more tones" I'm not in it to win a pissing contest; but man, have you ever heard three coils in series all at once?  THIIIICK stuff.  It's all about versatility.  :glasses10:

Updown said:

My ancient Squier Strat I've had since I was a teenager already has a (simpler) toggle-switch scheme that I use playing live, and it works just fine for me.  With what my group does, I don't have much need for lots of pickup changes anyway.  I do more recording than live playing, and primary focus was versatility. 

J

Yeah for recording, switches are a good thing (thats what I do)  :icon_thumright:
Plus I have some with many switches too.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17131.0
I got more guitars than switches thou  :laughing7:  so I just grab another guitar.  :icon_biggrin:
Or use one with a GK-3 installed driving VG-99 & GR-55 for a wall of sound.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17680.0
But live (which I don't do) I imagine could be hard at times. Just depends .....

Thanks ... save me typing  :icon_biggrin:

The flame one explained here .... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17131.msg258542#msg258542
Down the bottom of page.

The GK-3 with P-Rails explained here .... after the pic.
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17680.msg261233#msg261233

Updown said:
Welcome aboard  :icon_thumright:
Nice looking guitar.  :toothy10:

The stew mac tuner jig is very good, thats if your making a few.
Otherwise plenty of info on how it's done.
Sperzels you get a template on the side of the box. (not sure on the one's you have thou)
Warmoth don't do that for anyone. (tuner pin holes)

Personally I can't come to grips with the CBS headstock …. again a personal thing.

Warheart87 said:
I agree with Shadowhand, it will look better without a pickguard.
:dontknow: .... You guys gotta read more clearly.  :icon_scratch: ......... No mention of using one !!

musitron said:
The body is rear-routed, so the standard pickguard shielding won't apply in this case. 

Oops, I guess it was a case of looking at pics and ignoring text... :/ Sorry about that.

Warheart,

What do you have against black hardware?  :icon_tongue: 

Though on this blue one, I'm torn... I got black pickguard covers, but the bridge, switches, and tuners are chrome.  Chrome knobs, you figure? 

J

musitron said:
Though on this blue one, I'm torn... I got black pickguard covers, but the bridge, switches, and tuners are chrome.  Chrome knobs, you figure? 
Typo I think .....
:icon_scratch:  I sure hope you mean black puppie covers  :icon_biggrin:

All in Chrome is good with Black pup covers
Or
All Black would look good too, especially having Black tuners on that maple neck.
But thats just more expense if you don't have those bits already.

musitron said:
Warheart,

What do you have against black hardware?  :icon_tongue: 

J

I just like it more when its shiny! :hello2: But if I want darker hardware I really like that smokey chrome.

Chrome would look very good on that one, knobs too! If I had that blue I would probably put gold on it, it would be like the Swedish flag haha! Gold is probably my favorite when it comes to hardware though, but sometimes it's a bit too much.

Back