Hardtail Strat string through body hole width

WindsurfMaui

I understand that different era guitar body bridges have different string spacing. But I don't understand why the width of the string through body holes are different widths.  Other than trying to stay original in dimensions shouldn't the string holes width be defined by the type bridge used? That is string holes should be large enough that the strings does not touch the wood so as to not add a friction point to the strings. So as long as the holes aren't so large that the Ferrules don't fit string hole width is a functional issue. Am I wrong? What am I missing?

I bought a nice unfinished Mahogany body from Warmoth that just arrived and I plan on custom sanding to change the appearance. But rather than ruin a good Warmoth body I bought an inexpensive Alder hardtail body that I will custom sand and plane to test before I try the same modifications on the Mahogany body. Eventually I will attach a spare neck to the test Alder hardtail body to use as a handy knock around guitar to be handy when I want to just practice some finger exercises. I may not even put pickups in it. But I want to open up the string through body holes wider to make sure that the strings never touches the body. Is there any reason I shouldn't? Thanks

Back