Handy source of wire for guitar assy in a pinch

Tyrannocaster

I ran out of hookup wire, but I realized that I had a potential source that's virtually unlimited available: Christmas tree lights that don't work. Everybody has a string or two of these damn things, right? They give you spare bulbs and fuses, but it's just never possible to get them working again. Turns out I had a string of leds with green wire and a string of small incandescants with white wire, all twisted up like a three-string bowstring, of course. They have a stranded core. I tried cutting a length of each, stripped it (easy) and used it to solder a couple of components together: Bob's your uncle. So I put on some music and sat down with both strings and uncurled them, separating the long strands from the lights, which are all connected with short wires; I didn't bother with those. It didn't take that long - about 15 minutes - and now I have enough green ground wire and white hot wire for more guitars than I'm likely to wire up in my life.

Unfortunately, this only works on guitars made in countries which celebrate Christmas, which is pretty much American and European builders.

Cool re-use plan.

I've cannibalized CAT5/6 network cables and USB cables with salutary results.  The voltages inside the guitar cavity are quite low so I'm not too worried about overloading them.  The fine individual wires are nice for wiring Strat/Tele 3 or 5-way switches.  Used a shielded USB cable to do an LP-style 3-way switch when I didn't have any braided wire.  Worked a treat.

Back