Half-moth Steve Harris P-Bass

DocNrock

Master Member
I posted previously about a cheap deal I got on a blemished Fender American Special P-Bass at Guitar Center (among other things).  http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24338.0

Initially I was going to refinish the body, as it had a lot of gouges in it, but found a simple black-painted P-bass body in Warmoth's Screamin' Deals section.  Also, anyone who knows me knows I am a die-hard Iron Maiden fan.  Fender makes a Steve Harris P-bass, but I'm not really into purple and/or mirrored pick guards.  :laughing7: 

So I decided to make my own Steve Harris P-bass.  I used the neck, tuning machines, and electronics from the Fender that I bought and the black-painted P-bass body from the Screamin' Deals section, but replaced the ceramic cap with a Jensen paper/oil 0.047 uF cap.    The pickups are Seymour Duncan Steve Harris P-bass pickups.  The pickguard is a Warmoth black pearloid.  For the bridge, I used a Leo Quan Badass II.  Now, I'm just waiting on the neck plate from DangerousR6 (chrome, with a lovely portrait of Eddie  :headbang1:).  In all fairness, he sent it much earlier in the week, but the USPS is taking it's sweet time. 

The strings were a surprise to me.  I decided to go Steve Harris all the way.  Apparently, he uses massive Rotosound flat-wounds (50-75-95-110).

The sound is something I did not expect, especially with the flat-wound strings.  I was expecting flat and warm.  The sound is very much like Steve Harris'.  It is punchy and raw, and the percussive sound of the frets rings through in just the right amount relative to the baseline thump. 

I previously only had one bass.  It is an Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM.  I love it for what it is, with the active Bartolinis, and all.  It is more refined than my Harris P-bass.  This new build is so incredibly raw.  I love it.  I kept it simple, and am happy I did.  This is a very different bass, and complementary in every way to my Ibby.   

It is currently with the local tech that I use being setup, as the strings are way heavier than the original ones on the Fender.  I'm also having him change the nut from the original Fender one to a black Tusq XL.  Once I get it back, I will put the Eddie neck plate on it and post up a couple of more pics, with the new plate and nut.

For now, here it is:

:headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1: :glasses9: :evil4: :glasses9: :headbang1: :headbang1: :headbang1:

Back