Guitar questions

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JOSV2zKqbY[/youtube]

.It's not Me, but...........

DaveT said:
Michaelga said:
DaveT said:
As a bass player with fat fingers I played guitar in open tunings with a bottleneck for years.
Then I bought a 1.75" wide Superwide Warhead neck with the standard thin profile and a Tele Thinline body.
What a delight!
If I had known I would have done it 40 years ago.
Just do it, roasted maple with no finish, frets and inlays of your choice.
I now use a BC Rich Mockingbird for open tunings, the worthless old Tele copy is retired.

1.75" or 1.875"?

1.875" with the 16" radius over the whole neck, not the 10" to 16" compound radius. I would have used a flat fretboard if it was an option.

It is a big neck, you almost certainly don't want anything thicker than the 'standard thin' profile.

I chose black sharkfin inlays.

You get to choose whatever you think will work best for you and look best to you.

What's the advantage of a 16" radius vs. the standard compound radius?

>What's the advantage of a 16" radius vs. the standard compound radius?

None. It is all about the feel of the neck.
I wanted the flattest fretboard I could get, and from Warmoth 16" is it!

As ever, Your Mileage May Vary!
Comfort counts for a lot. I wish I had done something about getting a wide neck 40 years ago.

Rickenbacker do a 1.75" wide neck as standard on some models. You may be able to try one at a dealer.
The Rickenbacker I tried was a narrow neck 12 string. Quite nice and I can see why some people love them.
I found it unplayable.

>What's the advantage of a 16" radius vs. the standard compound radius?

None. It is all about the feel of the neck.
I wanted the flattest fretboard I could get, and from Warmoth 16" is it!

One more thing:-
The neck profile. I chose Standard Thin. On a wide neck it does not feel that thin!
Consider using the thinner Wizard profile.
Happily I do have a spoke-shave so perhaps one day I will thin the neck down a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. My hands are really big. I think I'm going to stick with the standard thin. They have these in maple/maple and maple/rosewood in stock now. I ordered Fender locking tuners. I'll measure the diameter when they come in and order a neck. I'm leaning towards the maple/maple.

Michael

Back