Guitar of the Month - June 2011

Wyliee

Congratulations to Telenator!

10 years ago I met some guys on an internet guitar forum from South Dakota. I live in Connecticut and go out there every year during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally and they very graciously allow me to sit in with them 4 or 5 nights during rally week. Four years ago, the bass player was in a motorcycle accident and lost the use of his legs. Since then I've been watching him struggle with his bass and felt it was time to do something about it. The bass you see here features a Warmoth neck. All the hardware and pickup are also directly from Warmoth. This bass represents 9 months of designing and building and is a gift to my friend. I just returned from South Dakota on May 23rd where I delivered the bass to him in person and we played a gig for friends and family. It is by far the most fun project I've ever done, and I've done a lot of projects! I call it "Ergo-Vibe" because it is ergonomically designed for the special needs of someone who plays in a wheel chair. The neck is rotated 15 degrees as are the bridge and pickup. This angle allows the player to slouch back in their chair while keeping the fingerboard perpendicular to the floor. Otherwise, the player needs to reach further around the neck to fret the notes. The leg cut has also been moved back a few inches to position the instrument more directly in front of the player. But this created a balance issue where the bass became "neck-heavy." To address this issue, I made a small leaf spring that attaches to the body and supports the neck in a "hands free" posture! Orange and clear nitro finish

3TDTjtA.jpg

pj8P7wT.jpg

Back