Grounding question on strat

P

ptirman

Beginner in wiring.

I've shielded the bottom of the pick guard and the three pickup and control cavity.
I am mounting the pickups, have the pots and selector switch wired and will solder the jack plate. I have a flat mount bridge, no term.

How do I ground all this stuff together and not short my guitar electronics?!

I am going to ground the pickguard/controlcavity to a solder lug and wood screw correct?
Do I ground the flat mount bridge?
Should I shield the jack plate cavity?

Looked up youtube videos, searched this forum, and researched (even S.D. diagrams) and am still confused :icon_jokercolor: :sad:(need a dunce emoticon rather than joker).

Thanks for any help,
PT

I have never shielded the input jack.  Run a wire to the bridge.  There should be a pre drilled area for it.

The bridge needs to be grounded. Also, your shielding will be useless if you don't shield the jack. Think of shielding like waterproofing a submarine. If there is a leak anywhere, then all of your efforts will be in vain. As for how to ground, it makes no difference whatsoever, as long as everything is grounded. Do it in whatever fashion you find most convenient. As a note, however, you may find it worthwhile to actually solder wires to the back of each pot, rather than rely solely on the shielding to ground the chassis. A soldered connection is superior to a mechanical one, as the pots may break continuity with ground, if the point of contact corrodes, or if a nut works loose.

Very helpful Line6man, Thanks. That was one of the areas of confusion for me, whether to shield the jack hole (a term my wife throws around in regard to people she doesn't like).

When you refer to grounding to the backs of the pots I am assuming you mean the pickups and the bridge but do you also mean running a ground wire from the shielding lining the routing holes in the body to the pots too?

Thanks again for helping me out. When it comes to some of this stuff, I am somewhat guitarted.

PT said:
Very helpful Line6man, Thanks. That was one of the areas of confusion for me, whether to shield the jack hole (a term my wife throws around in regard to people she doesn't like).

When you refer to grounding to the backs of the pots I am assuming you mean the pickups and the bridge but do you also mean running a ground wire from the shielding lining the routing holes in the body to the pots too?

Thanks again for helping me out. When it comes to some of this stuff, I am somewhat guitarted.

Daisy chain a piece of wire across the back of each pot, and tie it to the nearest ground point.

Back