Grand Fury demos

hachikid

A collaboration between two musicians (myself, Joseph Cote, and Justin Turberville of Bearhead) from the Birmingham area has been gathering steam. We're in the middle of writing, but we've managed to get some rough demos of our first two songs recorded. I just mixed and mastered them, and uploaded them.

The band's sound has been described likened to if Motorhead and Death From Above 1979 had a sonic baby. With a description like that, you know this is a sound that will hit you like like a submachine gun: loud, fast, quick, and effective.

Please take a listen and give us some feedback!

http://grandfury.bandcamp.com/

Is that only drums and bass? Such a full sound on that bass that I thought there was a guitar playing too! Good stuff, definitely an audio kick to the stones  :icon_biggrin:

Details on the way it was recorded, please? Sounds quite good, and full, for only bass & drum.  :icon_thumright:

I like ... very vibey  :icon_thumright:

Will they be getting vocals or remain instrumental?

:headbang1: Awesome!!!!  :headbang1:

Now you need to get a guitar player to play a screaming lead over the track!!!!  :guitaristgif:

wow, didn't think I'd get a response here quicker than at Talkbass! hah. yep, only bass and drums on this. both were recorded at the same time in one take, as well. there's a few mistakes, but this is a rough demo. these will eventually be re-recorded.

as far as the production, I was using Vincent (http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=13567.0). I ran one output to my Carvin X100B (all tube guitar amp) into a Sunn 4x12 guitar cab, and mic'd the guitar cab and ran it to my audio/digital convertor. I ran the "bass" output directly to my audio/digital converter and used Amplitube 3 to run that to a digital Ampeg SVT-4 Pro EQ'd for all lows (cut everything above 600hz on the graphic EQ) -> Acoustic 361/Ampeg SVT-410H -> tube compressor. for the mic'd highs, I doubled the track, and ran a separate track in the left and right channel and put some chorus via Amplitube 3 in the left channel only to create an out of phase effect to make the sound even bigger. after that, I compressed and EQ'd the "guitar cab" channels to bring out the tone and fullness even more. the drums were mic'd live, as well. one bass drum mic, and one overhead mic. both were compressed and EQ'd to bring out the details, control the cymbal glare, and to make it get even bigger. after all that was done, I put slight compression on the entire mix to smooth it all up. I've been tinkering with mixing and mastering audio over the past year, and I've definitely gotten much better at it. this is the first time I've properly recorded with another person live...so, it was pretty interesting. this band should turn out well, though. both of us have similar, but different musical backgrounds and styles. it will also be the first time I'm going to be singing/fronting a band. but both of us are songwriters with a lot in common, both musically and personally...so, I have a good feeling about what will come out of this.

the songs will definitely be getting vocals, too. we're in the middle of writing, though. expect a full album of around 50 minutes of music, and it will be available for free download on that bandcamp page.

oh yea, I also used Presonus Studio One as the DAW. great freaking program!

vocals have been added to "You're Not That Memorable". here's a link, let me know your thoughts. lyrics may change in the second verse. I couldn't think of any at the time of recording, so I just doubled the first verse. I blew out my voice doing my best to get these right, so hopefully you like it. it's fierce.

http://grandfury.bandcamp.com/track/youre-not-that-memorable-w-vocals

Back