Got a new amp, decided to build a speaker cabinet!

ragamuffin

A week or two ago a scored a Supro Statesman 50 watt head from Sweetwater for $600. Great sounding head, but it doesn't quite jell with my current cab. Given I've got plenty of time on my hands I decided to build my own cab for it.

Semi-open back, built out of solid pine with a baltic birch ply baffle. I used good wood so screw tolex. I decided to use a burlap coffee bag for the grill cloth to continue with the rustic vibe.

I originally ordered a pair of the stock Supro speakers to put in it from a guy on Reverb, but the arrived busted to pieces. Soooo, I decided to splurge and order a Celestion Cream Alnico and G12H-75 Creamback to put in it. Can't wait for them to arrive!

TyIoIpQ.jpg

LQv4i91.jpg

wvpIKOL.jpg

I detect the tone to have a smokey earthy-ness with just a hint of chestnut.

Thanks rauchman!

After a week of my speakers not shipping I messaged the shop that I ordered from and they claimed that UPS had lost them? (even though tracking didn't show that UPS had ever received them) and thankfully gave me a refund  :icon_scratch:

Soooo, I ordered my speakers elsewhere and finally got them! The cab is sounding great. It's brighter and has more upper-mid emphasis than my other cab, which is just what my new Supro head needed.

Xf3ei9x.jpg

The amp sounds pretty great and makes an excellent clean platform OR a mid-gain rock machine if you crank the volume and turn down the "return gain" knob on the back. Unfortunately there isn't a good way to switch between two on the fly; the feature set and channel switching is kind of quirky, a master volume knob on one channel would have been a great addition. Anyways, the "clean platform" ability is my top priority and it does that very well with a different feel and flavor than my other amp. I definitely don't have any regrets on the purchase!

Looks great!

Lately I've been thinking about building a couple of small cabs myself.
Care to share any more of the construction details? 

Zebra said:
Looks great!

Lately I've been thinking about building a couple of small cabs myself.
Care to share any more of the construction details?

Thanks! First I glued up/butt jointed the box and with clamps to hold it together. Then I added strips inside to reinforce all the corners/edges and screwed them in. It's probably not as sturdy as finger jointing/dovetail but it's pretty sturdy. You can see it better in this picture that I took with the speakers in. After that I rounded over all the outside edges.

U1NLyH8.jpg

The hardest part was cutting the speaker holes in the baffle. I did it with a router using a homemade jig like in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki7Buk0fcjM

Back