Good Tele/P90 pup combo recommendations needed

llmtelecaster

I'm stuck at the planning point in my next tele build where I decide on the pups. I have my mind set on a tele/P90 pickup combo but could really use some ideas for the tele and P90 pups. I definietly want an overall "hot" sound from the guitar, but more importantly i want the neck and bridge to compliment each other well.

All ideas and suggestions welcome.

If your going with 2 pickups, the Seymour Duncan P-Rails are great, best of 3 worlds then.
But I used mine on a Strat .....

When I got mine I got a HOT P-rails for the bridge  :icon_thumright:
Just a thought ....
Or
Use a Tele in the neck & 1 HOT P-Rails in the bridge, then could have what you want Tele / P90, plus having on hand a Hum or Single to go with the Tele neck pickup.

I'm not sure why you'd want hot tele and p90 pickups, as the real flavor of both of those comes through with a moderate wind. One issue with this combo (which I've had on three axes now) is that neck P90s tend to be louder than bridge tele pickups. A hot prails would overwhelm just about any "real" tele pickup.

I love, love, love the Lollar special T and Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue sig tele pickups out of anything I've tried. My best sounding guitar has a lollar 50s wind neck p90 and SD donahue tele bridge pup. I had to get the neck pickup specially wound the reverse of normal so that it would hum cancel with the SD. Those are never going out of the guitar.

tfarny said:
I'm not sure why you'd want hot tele and p90 pickups, as the real flavor of both of those comes through with a moderate wind. One issue with this combo (which I've had on three axes now) is that neck P90s tend to be louder than bridge tele pickups. A hot prails would overwhelm just about any "real" tele pickup.

I love, love, love the Lollar special T and Seymour Duncan Jerry Donahue sig tele pickups out of anything I've tried. My best sounding guitar has a lollar 50s wind neck p90 and SD donahue tele bridge pup. I had to get the neck pickup specially wound the reverse of normal so that it would hum cancel with the SD. Those are never going out of the guitar.

I have to agree concerning "hot" winds on Tele pickups.  If you want it to have any Tele charactaristics, don't use a "hot" wind.  Lower wind P-90s are amazing, by the way.  I would suggest giving some a shot, especially through Roadhouse pickups.  Ken is a member here at UW, and unless he's changed his ways, you could try out non "hot" winds and then have him rewind them if it really isn't what you want.

-Mark

I agree with contacting Ken at Roadhouse.  He'll wind them exactly the way you want them.  He did for me  :icon_thumright:

Having spent the past couple of months trying to answer the same question. I would agree with everything already said.
I was able to try several different arrangements and ended up buying these. I just got them this week & am waiting for a switch. So I just have to believe that they are going to be every bit as great as they look. I am sure they will live up to their rep.

P.S If you are still interested in p90s I have an almost new set of Dirty Harry's that I am not going to use.
:rock-on:

Back