Goncalo Neck and Fretboard Wood?

MetalThrasher

I've never heard of this wood. What does this neck and fretboard wood compare to? What body wood would match this... alder or mahogany?

I think it has a very dense smooth texture with a waxy, fast feel. Color is tan with darker chocolate stripes (used by Smith & Wesson for pistol grips). With an articulate, clean, warm tone, Goncalo gets rave reviews for its overall well balanced tone and great looks. Primarily used as a neck wood, it mates well with Pau Ferro or Ebony fretboards.

Goncalo is great for both fretboards and neck meat. As to sound ... somewhere between mahogany and korina. Its an oily wood, with a slick luxurious feel. It’s actually a long known wood to the cognoscenti, so don’t be afraid to try it. You’ll love it. I’d match it to mahogany or korina bodies, but it will mate well with alder. Alder is like chicken, it picks up the flavors of the things around it. Nice and even tone. No worries. Just do it. I recommend you spend some time googling goncalo, you’ll find it a respected tone wood and others can describe its properties Janka scale and other related matters better than I.

Of the "classic" wood options I'd say the feel is closest to rosewood. It's dense and waxy feeling with tight grain. I have a goncalo/ebony fb neck on an alder body with p90s and it's an excellent sounding guitar.

Back