GK-3 13pin Jack Install / 'Redback' Strat

Updown

Hi all  :glasses9:
Thought I'd add this part in the 'Tips & Tricks' section, to share a very simple way of installing a GK-3 13pin jack & plate & other bits.

This is a continuation build, on my 'RedBack' Strat with internal GK-3
Other pic's here ...... http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=17451.0

Tools used ….

Masking Tape
Square & Ruler etc
Sharp Cutter etc
1 x case of Beer (make that 2)  :icon_biggrin:
Brad Point drill bits & drill & other drill bits
Dremel tool & attachment bits  #194  &  # 8175  &  either  #439  or  #507

This one is, done in a New Warmoth Rear Routed Strat Body (I find it very easy, as there is plenty of room to work with)

When I order the body, I get a 1/2'' side input jack hole (for reasons shown later) & just get the Strat 5 way Switch & Bottom 2 Knob holes pre done.

OK …. The 1/2'' input side jack hole is where I usually put the 13pin jack input. Then just have to drill another hole later on for the Mono jack input.
I mark out onto a Template (thin brass sheeting) the 13pin input 'PLASTIC' jack plate. Then cut out the inside square of & drill 4 outer screw holes.
Then 1st using 2 small screws, attach / line up the 13pin 'PLASTIC' plate USING the 2 INSIDE holes of the plastic plate, (of cause the body is taped up)
(those 2 screw holes won't be there later on anyway)

Those 2 screws will hold the plastic plate while you drill the other 4 outer holes using just a touch of a Brad Point 1/8'' drill bit (just to clear though the finish)
Then swap to a very small size drill & drill the holes out more. (NOT TO MUCH) ….. you want to use …. Hum Mount Ring Screws 1st up !!

Un-screw plastic plate & then attach the brass template plate (or whatever you use) by the 4 outer screws, using something small (Like hum mount ring screws)
Don't want to use the larger screws your using at the end just yet, as you want a tight fit later on….. so go small for now.

The Brass template is so you can then score around the inside edges of the square with a very shape point ie: stanely knife/ art knife / shape small chisel etc etc
This is to cut  / score you way thought that lovely finish that you really don't want to stuff up.  :toothy11:

Then grab a drill & drill bits (can use any type here) as you've cut thought the finish / edges already.
Start drilling some holes in all the corners 1st. Then anywhere else there is room.

Now the fun part …..  :toothy12:
Grab that Dremel with a #194 bit, & start some hacking away…. have fun !!
Makes it easy / safer having a Template in place, as it takes away the fear factor of doing this & you can get in close without grinding any outer / finish.
Also the control cavity has plenty of room for the dremeling of the inside of, for tidying it all up with a # 439  dermal bit.

Then need to layout & drill holes where you want your GK-3 Pot, GK-3 Switch, GK-3 Vol, GK-3 Up & Down Buttons & anything else that turns you on.
(I purposely left off the GK-3 LED Light on this build) …. But … added a On/ Off / On Mini Toggle for the P-Rails I'll be using on this.

Now some of these holes drilled for the GK-3 controls & switches will be to thick in the woodwork for the GK-3 pot & Switches & Buttons to screw up.
So a bit of grinding down (from inside of cavity) to thin out using Dremel bit # 8175 so theres enough room to fit though & tighten up.

When laying out your switches / pots etc, make sure there is enough room to grind down any needed bits from the control cavity lip over hang on the inside.
In other words …. can the Dremel fit in there & still be able to grind down evenly.

OH Yeah …. you then need to drill for your Mono Input Jack / Plate. Use a Brad Point Drill for that !!

Can of cause make your own Jackplate & route it into the side consisting of both Input-Jacks closer together ….. Sorry .. that to hard for me  :sad:
But this is just using what you get …… Plus it's how I've done it before on my 'Cigar' Strat GK-3 Build with 3 Strat SD Rails

Well thats it …… Hope that might help  :sign13:  in some way, to anybody doing a GK-3 13Pin jack Install.

Pic's should tell the story for them selves  :glasses9:
(If I can't add all pic's in one hit will add as I can)

Cheers from Updown  :toothy10:

03e35dcf.jpg

7e27c804.jpg

df9555dd.jpg

fadb1061.jpg

4451ecff.jpg

640b607a.jpg

3de45d28.jpg

a04830a1.jpg

0a5e0227.jpg

da442b77.jpg

e6e6408b.jpg

04ac7dfa.jpg

f37d7f84.jpg

c10f6603.jpg

c2652320.jpg

1b6a9bbb.jpg

2e493368.jpg

7b268cda.jpg

305273d6.jpg

3ff76d62.jpg

b1aabb6a.jpg

4502f963.jpg

630f95f8.jpg

73577f41.jpg

127a7ecf.jpg

d7c8a24d.jpg

2eb8e5bb.jpg

04819fa2.jpg

8e2156f1.jpg

0c3331e0.jpg

d400711a.jpg

91e66654.jpg

bcbc658e.jpg

11ff3778.jpg

Holy jumpin' Jesus Christ on a camroller! You must have brass balls that clang when you walk! LOL!

That's all I wanna say right now <grin>

The pictures are great AND informative! Your bravery as a luthier and skills as a photographer will help many others accomplish this type of modification.  Well done sir!

Very, very nice work, but...

Where is it that we make submissions for "Most Stress Inducing Thread of the Month"? I need a strong sedative of some sort after looking at that. :sad:

Cold hard killer! You're a brave man. And it turned out awesome! I'm in awe of your stone cold confidence with a Dremel!

By the way, this display of brass, has totally solidified my resolve to buy a finished Musiclander body with no control holes and drill them myself. Thanks.

Thanks all  :icon_biggrin:

Posted this for all to view, as I've learned things from others here as well :icon_thumright: thanks guys !

Brass Balls  :icon_scratch: I thought it was known as .... Balls of Steel  :laughing7:  I did use a brass plate thou !!

The funny part is ... I spent days upon days looking at it  :icon_scratch: measuring etc, looking & starring again & again.
Then pulled the finger out one day & completed this part within the hour (thats with taking pic's as I went along)

Will post a link for complete build / wiring setup etc when finished .... will keep you updated.
If you have any questions or any other details needed just let me know ...... Cheers  :eek:ccasion14:

JaySwear said:
You're a brave man. And it turned out awesome! I'm in awe of your stone cold confidence with a Dremel!
Thank you .... But you should see me with a Chainsaw  :laughing7:

Attachments

• stump.jpg
    stump.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 514
Dang dang dang dang dang!!!

I was digging through threads hoping to find a picture of the 13 pin jack from the other side. This one's enough to confirm what I had in mind will not work. I already have an inverted strat jack. I had sincerely hoped to be able to fabricate an inverted jack to hold the 13 pin jack, but I can see from this pic that it won't work. Man that would've been so sweet.  My brother's been trying to talk me into putting the ghost/midi system on this project since I showed it to him. And I do want it on _A_ guitar. But I'm not certain it needs to be THIS guitar.

I don't suppose anyone has dimensions for the jack assembly?

Attachments

• ghost-jack.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 609
swarfrat said:
Dang dang dang dang dang!!!

I don't suppose anyone has dimensions for the jack assembly?
YEP  :icon_biggrin: in the GK-3 Kit Manual it states it's 28.0 mm Wide & 23.0 mm High & 32mm Deep ..

BUT ..that just gives you a square hole !!

Better still here's a scan of my Template used .... hope this helps  :toothy11:

Any questions just yell !!

EDIT... I get it you want something like this one .... # 9 guitar  (Not sure how this was done)
http://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=16417.0

Attachments

• GK-3 13pin Jack Template.pdf
    649.9 KB · Views: 259
Yes! although I was willing to flip the jack to make it happen. That's a GK-3 though, not a Graphtech Ghost. Their jack board looks almost as big, only a little slimmer.

swarfrat said:
That's a GK-3 though, not a Graphtech Ghost. Their jack board looks almost as big, only a little slimmer.

Trying to get you the measurements (from others I know) for the Ghost 13pin jackplate & attached hardware ....
Shall let you know when I have that !!

They do look about the same size jackplate thou. BUT the middle 2 screws look higher on the Ghost one's
:icon_scratch: That leads me to think that the hardware behind it may-be smaller than the Roland 13 pin.

Hey swarfrat  :icon_biggrin:

Here is the Ghost Hex Manual ...... gives the size of the 13pin jackplate

Dose look a slightly different shape to the GK-3 13pin.

Updown  :blob7:

Attachments

• GHOST Hex Manual.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 260
Back