Ginger, the thinline 12 string tele, the body has been loaded

Bblkepling

This is a continuation of this thread:

http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=24919.0

BE1A223A-9B4C-4E93-9FEE-81418E2F563E_zpsfbtcrskl.jpg

After a month of sitting on a pile of parts and never finding the time to take them to my tech I finally found the motivation to go ahead and do most of the work myself. I had the tuners installed by my tech a while ago waiting for back ordered parts, but everything else so far I've done myself.

I found that most of the holes needed to have the finish cleaned away from the inside of the holes before things went smoothly(Potentiometers, bridge and ferrules). I used a drill bit of the same size and hand turned it through the holes and that seemed to fix the hold up there (also liberal wax usage on the screws helped a lot too). Drilling the other holes proved to be easy and I had no problems there. One thing that I noted was that there was no hole running from the switch in the upper cavity to anywhere else. I ended up just drilling it myself through the top of the neck pickup route, and it worked out fine.

Of all things to give me trouble have been the potentiometers, and I'm about to order the 3rd set of them for this guitar. The 1st set I ordered had a thread length of 1/4", and if you look at the thickness of a Warmoth top you will note that this will not work. Oops, into the pile of spare parts they go. The 2nd set I made sure I got 3/8" thread length to pass through the top, but after I wired it up and tried to put the pots through I found that they don't work with both washers. That's what I get for forgetting to check everything and assuming that it should work. My next guitar will have a pickguard so I can use up these extra pots I have laying around now, lol.

The wiring works fine, but there are some goofy things about it that doesn't make sense to me. For some reason when I drop the one of the volume knobs to 0 it kills the volume for the entire circuit, odd but it does work otherwise. Rather than diagnosing the problem I'm just going to completely redo the wiring when I get new pots. I was able to find proper pots for my application with 1/2" thread length, these guys have to custom order them and as far as I can tell they are the only ones who carry pots like this:

http://www.toneshapers.com/wiring-parts/pots/bourns-500k-audio-pot-push-pull.html#.VXDHHUaWRKU

Where I'm at right now is I need to adjust and bolt on the neck, string and setup. May just hand it off to my tech and have him do it.

Also the headstock looks naked, anyone have suggestions on what to do with a unfinished bloodwood headstock? Warmoth did send me a decal/sticker thingy but I have no plans on a neck finish.

Nice! however.. in the interest of not having my smart aleck card revoked, I must point out. The picture posted may be a 12-tuner, or 12 saddle guitar, but it is not a 12 STRING guitar. Missing a little something there. Definitely approve - green & gold, and a 12 string.. not much not to like Interested to hear how those Bill Lawrences sound.

It looks to be taking shape

With regard to the volumes not being independent it's likely that the hot wires of the pickups are going to the left outer lug as you look down at the pot. However for independent volume controls the hot wire goes to the centre lug and then the output wire to the lug that otherwise would have acted as an input.

I tried to come up with a witty remark, but due to a lack of anything good I went ahead and finished the old new girl off. Still needs the electronics redone, nut cut in, and the setup zeroed in. Amazingly when I put it all together most everything was about where it should have been without really trying, just needed to drop the bridge saddles down. The L500 R/C set sounds amazing, even without using old Bill's nickel trick yet. But without further ado, I present Ginger in all her glory:

7F90DC01-F806-4FFB-9CEE-390CCCC46FDC_zpsojhchnfa.jpg

E7793AFC-5B42-45E1-8231-360038FC7B11_zpsa6wpusaj.jpg

1C2BE900-9517-4450-9B1B-B781C8E3878C_zpseu7j8rki.jpg

D9E3E9F6-BD13-413A-9778-4E37B2DE15D7_zpstqed4wps.jpg

43FB505F-A5FD-466F-A6CF-7D5B04830F61_zpsl5kuhk3j.jpg

Nice. Really nice. Interestingly, guitars like this are something that I would never build for myself, but I always want one.

Nice!!!  I always end up selling my 12 strings for lack of use. Then I want one. Bad

Back