Gibson scale conversion neck.

C

Cowbell Fever!

What if my conversion neck turns out really hard to intonate like DrSeb says?!!
Say I go down to my local blues night open mike with the intention of really wowing everyone with my incredible 12 bar prowess. There I am halfway through "Mustang Sally", with my Quilter Mach 3 pegged on the "sweet" channel for awesome emulated Dumble sound, and I and everyone there notices my intonation is off!? I will lose all confidence in my trusty second position pentatonic( that I never leave once I start) the eight or so people in attendance  will laugh and say stuff like, he doesn't have the characteristic Dumble chirp, and Mustang Sally?! he outta be singing something more like "Ford Fiesta Betty" !!
And lemee tell ya, that is when the teardrops start!!

Course on the other hand the neck may work out perfectly!!! :laughing7:

Presumably you would set up the guitar and make sure it is intonated before you go steppin' out?

You would indeed try intonating the guitar before going out a gig  :laughing11:
If you don't you can always not hit the E and/or e strings and play it like a 4-5 strings guitar; it's not that bad as it's almost like a Ukulele.

And my point was that the 3-4 times I remember using a conversion neck on either hardtail or trem (vintage) bridges, the conversion neck stressed the adjustment range to the max for proper intonation: E pulled all the way, e sometimes pushed nearly all the way (on the trem). Neither are ideal for a variety of reasons (especially the e) but it worked.

The most fun was my recent build, which granted has a fairly unusual BabicZ hardtail bridge, as I had to cut the E spring nearly in half to get extra range needed, and then widen the saddle's opening at the bottom of the saddle so it wouldn't cover the string hole due to being pulled that far back. It didn't help the friend wanted 9.5-44 strings because the 44 seemed to require pulling even further than a 46 E string would have.

I was only having some fun obviously. But never having tried a conversion neck and since it is a hardtail it may require some adjustment outside my usual zone. I had thought of modifying the stainless saddle if I have to. Generally, I like 10-46. So we shall see. I am glad you made me aware of it good sir!

blue nights are weird, man. buncha old guys in leather vests over top race car t-shirts tucked into dad jeans circle jerkin each other with Clapton-adjacent licks. then some 12 year old shows up with like a low end ESP and melts their faces and one of old guys will be condescending to him like "why'd you kick that lydian dominant off the tritone?" and I'm like, bro, where was all that theory knowledge when u up there playing pentatonic minor and making the "i just bit into a lemon i thought was an apple" guitar faces? at least have the confidence to bend your sour notes in key (you're never more than a whole step away from  being in key, so just embrace it like Beckham)

Those dudes remind of my nephew.
last week he decided he wants to be a Whiskey Snob but he's not old enough to drink so he's just being all pompous about ketchup. Says Heinz is "entry level swill" with the same verisimilitude as a blues night guy shaking his head while looking down his nose at any combo amp that isn't covered in tweed

I jest of course, but u know I'm not too far off the mark lol

And like, some of the guys know how to play real good, of course. But often it's like... the technique and performance are like a really nice, well made puzzle where all pieces are hand crafted and fit together perfectly, but then u look at the finished puzzle when it's all together and its just a picture of  raw sewage. every bonnamassa album is exactly like that to my own two earballs

I'll take Samantha fish over that guy any day of any year (look her up, my turtles)

so anyway, I wouldn't worry about intonation too much. just get it in the ballpark and then go back to some practicing (the thing guitar players like least)

What's the general consensus of intonating a Gibson scale conversion neck? I'm intending to use one and a Tune-O-Matic/Stop bar(Tonepros for the bridge/Gotoh for the stopbar) for my near future Switchback project. Although that's been the idea, I'm not at all against a 25.5 inch scale either.

Stilgar138 said:
What's the general consensus of intonating a Gibson scale conversion neck? I'm intending to use one and a Tune-O-Matic/Stop bar(Tonepros for the bridge/Gotoh for the stopbar) for my near future Switchback project. Although that's been the idea, I'm not at all against a 25.5 inch scale either.

The "consensus" generally (or rather method) is the same as intonating any other scale length. Set the relief, nut height, bridge height and then move the saddles back or forwards so the note produced at the 12th fret presuming the open string is in tune is neither sharp nor flat. And also do this with the instrument in playing position.

BroccoliRob said:
blue nights are weird, man. buncha old guys in leather vests over top race car t-shirts tucked into dad jeans circle jerkin each other with Clapton-adjacent licks. then some 12 year old shows up with like a low end ESP and melts their faces and one of old guys will be condescending to him like "why'd you kick that lydian dominant off the tritone?" and I'm like, bro, where was all that theory knowledge when u up there playing pentatonic minor and making the "i just bit into a lemon i thought was an apple" guitar faces? at least have the confidence to bend your sour notes in key (you're never more than a whole step away from  being in key, so just embrace it like Beckham)

last week he decided he wants to be a Whiskey Snob but he's not old enough to drink so he's just being all pompous about ketchup. Says Heinz is "entry level swill" with the same verisimilitude as a blues night guy shaking his head while looking down his nose at any combo amp that isn't covered in tweed

And like, some of the guys know how to play real good, of course. But often it's like... the technique and performance are like a really nice, well made puzzle where all pieces are hand crafted and fit together perfectly, but then u look at the finished puzzle when it's all together and its just a picture of  raw sewage. every bonnamassa album is exactly like that to my own two earballs

I'll take Samantha fish over that guy any day of any year (look her up, my turtles)

so anyway, I wouldn't worry about intonation too much. just get it in the ballpark and then go back to some practicing (the thing guitar players like least)

can't disagree with anything here. Also, if I read correctly, you're the kid playing the low-hanging ESP given that it is you who fires the comeback towards the lydian dominant accusation. Or are you just standing by as a 3rd person and join the conversation at that point? If the former is true - kudos for playing ESPs (great axes) and building guitars at that age. Attaboy kiddo!

stratamania said:
Stilgar138 said:

The "consensus" generally (or rather method) is the same as intonating any other scale length. Set the relief, nut height, bridge height and then move the saddles back or forwards so the note produced at the 12th fret presuming the open string is in tune is neither sharp nor flat. And also do this with the instrument in playing position.

That's my method as well but I guess I was wondering about the wiggle room on a Tune-O-Matic. I'm using a Warmoth body, I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Not sure if how different a tune o matic is but my standard strat bridge intonated absolutely perfectly with the conversion neck using a Peterson stroboclip. Better than I've achieved with my off the shelf guitars. I was very impressed.

The fretboard hangs over the body so the body bridge position is where it should be relative to the nut.

Edited to add - this was with 10s

alexreinhold said:
BroccoliRob said:

can't disagree with anything here. Also, if I read correctly, you're the kid playing the low-hanging ESP given that it is you who fires the comeback towards the lydian dominant accusation. Or are you just standing by as a 3rd person and join the conversation at that point? If the former is true - kudos for playing ESPs (great axes) and building guitars at that age. Attaboy kiddo!

Heinz is entry-level swill.  And here's a video proving it:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/8KQPQPiBkRY[/youtube]

Gguitar said:
Not sure if how different a tune o matic is but my standard strat bridge intonated absolutely perfectly with the conversion neck using a Peterson stroboclip. Better than I've achieved with my off the shelf guitars. I was very impressed.

The fretboard hangs over the body so the body bridge position is where it should be relative to the nut.

Thanks. Cool, I'll probably be putting 11s on it but I think I can get it going. On the overhang, so the regular neck pickup route works fine? I can't find anything that says it changes anything but I'm just wanting to cover my bases and have the plan ready to order when the time comes. I think I'm finally out of questions for planning my order haha.

Stilgar138 said:
Gguitar said:

Thanks. Cool, I'll probably be putting 11s on it but I think I can get it going. On the overhang, so the regular neck pickup route works fine? I can't find anything that says it changes anything but I'm just wanting to cover my bases and have the plan ready to order when the time comes. I think I'm finally out of questions for planning my order haha.

Conversion necks.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-scale-conversion

The only neck that needs a neck pickup reposition is a 25 1/2" scale with a 24 Fret extension.

stratamania said:
Stilgar138 said:
Gguitar said:

Conversion necks.

https://warmoth.com/guitar-neck-scale-conversion

The only neck that needs a neck pickup reposition is a 25 1/2" scale with a 24 Fret extension.

From what I had found, I was pretty certain that was the case. I think with that I've got my plan, apart from fret size but that's a personal preference thing.

alexreinhold said:

heck no my friend. this was like 2019. that kid was way better than me at guitar than when i was 12. mostly because i didnt play guitar when i was 12 Imao

at that age my biggest concern was finding a bone in my ice cream because my older brother told me ice cream is made from dead snowmen every winter and sometimes the processing machines (industrial food complex, am i right?) wouldnt get all the snowman organs and bones out. then one time he snuck a wishbone (special bone that can grant wishes when you break it, only found in certain birds and waterfowl) into my ice cream sandwich and i almost choked to death but thankfully when i threw up it also came out and then my mom made me clean our couch. luckily we had those clear plastic furntiure covers so it didn't get into the fabric or down on our shag carpet so i just took it to the backyard and hosed it down even though its not like i threw up on purpose

Mayfly said:
alexreinhold said:
Heinz is entry-level swill.  And here's a video proving it:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/8KQPQPiBkRY[/youtube]

what

i said i do like Sammy Fish, and the part about ketch up didnt really pertain to that part of my post lol. she rules and BIandomassa droolz rofl

But I mean, if u can afford the bougie whole foods all natural ketchup then hey, mo' (short for more) power to ya, but as long as Bush is in the white house im gonna have to ride or die Heinz because its just a great value (side note: Great Value brand ketchup is also acceptable in a pinch)

I love Gibson conv necks. Have two, one on a Warmoth Strat body and one on an American Strat. I did have to remove the saddle spring to get the saddle back far enough but they are both tuned to E flat and are great.

I have 3.
One with a two bolt Fender trem..one 6 bolt narrow and one Floyd.
Huge thanks to Warmoth for allowing me to have a Strat with a Wizard neck and Gibson scale (for way less than anything I could buy off the rack).
No issues with any of them...low E is at max pull but its not causing any problems with tone or setup on my end. I did not need to cut the spring.

I have no issues with mine, very happy. I did end up clipping two springs, but that is easy peasy.

just curious when placing a bridge on a 24.75 scale neck, or any other neck for that matter.  When using a strat style bridge, what process does everyone use?

I usually set all the saddles in the middle of their adjustment range, measure the scale from the nut and place the bridge appropriately with the saddles on that measurement. 

I figure the high E will have to be moved a bit closer to the nut while the low E will be moved towards the bridge.  What is everyone else doing for builds that don't have the bridge holes pre-drilled??

Back