Gibson Chadocaster

TheBigInch

This is my very first build and I had a great time creating this guitar!  I loved dealing with Warmoth!  Can't wait to start the next one!
Here is a quick list of my parts
1. Ash body made from a Ron Kirn 52 Tele template
2. Warmoth Vintage bridge
3. Control plate and components are from Warmoth
4.  Warmoth Neck is Maple/Maple, standard thin, 9.5" radius, 22 fret
5.  Grover Mini Rotomatic tuners
6.  Seymour Duncan Hot Rail pickups for neck and bridge.
7.  Fender Pickguard.

Attachments

• finished product.jpg
    finished product.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 663
Looks like you did a great job. Nice way to debut on the forum!

But...

We need more photos please and more details. How did you do the finish? The binding? 'Gibson Chadocaster' might need some explaining too.

Thanks Fat Pete!  I started taking guitar lessons just over a year ago and I thought it might be fun to build my own guitar.  I've always been pretty good at building stuff.  Much better than I am at playing guitar! 
I've got plenty of pics!
Attached are few of them I took along the way.  I found shaping the guitar pretty straight forward.  Routing the edges, pocket, binding groove, and cavities went pretty smooth.  Applying the binding was pretty tricky.  I had a little anxiety because of how fast i had to work and had never done this before.  I used a TON of tape and several bungee chords to keep it together.  I was actually surprised how well it turned out after I sanded it back down.  I ran into some trouble drilling the jack hole and chipped a piece out of the edge.  I used a little car Bondo to fix the mistake.  THANK GOD FOR FORUMS LIKE THIS!!  Afterwards, I applied grain filler as recommended by just about every guitar builder.  I started getting really excited when the neck arrived.  I was amazed at how nice it was.  I created a spray station in the back yard using a 3/4" dowel attached to the fence and a 1" pvc pipe attached at the neck pocket.  I think it worked pretty good, but i still ended up with a few bugs in the paint that needed removing.  I sprayed the guitar body with Behlen Water based lacquer and tinted it with a combination of blue and white Colortone Dye.  The Preval cans worked pretty good, but I think next time i'll upgrade on the sprayers.  Finishing the guitar was easily the most difficult part of this project.  I'm not going to lie, I struggled.  I'm still not satisfied with how it turned out.  The corners were thin and needed touching up after sanding.  I couldn't completely get the scratch marks out either.  I must have used every grit possible and still couldn't make it work.  I have a whole new appreciation for those who do this well.  The head stock logo is made from a Testers water slide decal.  My name is Chad Gibson, so I thought it would be a little funny to use the Fender style with the "Gibson" name.  Chadocaster seemed logical and corny so I used it!  That's pretty much the story!  Its not perfect but i'm proud of it anyway. 

Attachments

• tele22.jpg
    tele22.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 436
  • tele20.jpg
    tele20.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 414
  • tele16.jpg
    tele16.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 410
  • tele15.jpg
    tele15.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 375
  • tele14.jpg
    tele14.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 402
  • tele13.jpg
    tele13.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 372
  • tele12.jpg
    tele12.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 377
  • tele11.jpg
    tele11.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 386
  • tele09.jpg
    tele09.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 386
  • tele07.jpg
    tele07.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 420
  • tele06.jpg
    tele06.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 378
  • tele05.jpg
    tele05.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 401
  • tele02.jpg
    tele02.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 384
  • tele01.jpg
    tele01.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 408
  • tele25.jpg
    tele25.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 398
Sorry to reply so late, but...my girlfriend makes fun of me for being excessively impartial to to color blue....but to my mind, that just makes me a connoisseur, and I HIGHLY approve of this!

Back