Geddy Lee neck meets gorgeous Warmoth body.

Corey P.

Hi all!  I had lusted after a Geddy Lee Jazz Bass for a very long time, and in 2005ish a friend and fellow bass player had purchased one, but the thin neck was not suited for him at all.  He wound up swapping the stock neck for one from an MIA P-Bass, and offered to sell me the Geddy neck, which I needed all of half a second to say yes to. :)  Instead of trying to faithfully recreate a Geddy (beyond the Badass II bridge) I, having killed many hours of down time at work poring over Warmoth options and customer pics, elected to include essentially everything I've always wanted in a bass or guitar, namely a flame maple top and tobacco burst finish.  This was the result:

IM000121.jpg

^ That picture is from when it was first built (2005), I'll add several current ones once I figure out my new camera, I was just in a nostalgic mood as I'm planning my new build and discovered this forum in the process.  Luckily I've babied it and she's fairly pristine.

The specs are:
Stock CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Maple/Maple neck
Warmoth Swamp Ash body (rear routed) with AAA Flame Maple Top
Tobacco Burst finish
EMG J/LJ pickups and BQC control system (18 volts)
Leo Quan Badass Bass II Bridge

I'd been fairly loyally using D'Addario strings but have recently been using/liking the Ernie Ball coated strings, and I've always used roundwounds, 45-105.  The sustain, warmth and clarity are all pretty much ideal.  The growl it packs when desired is also about my favorite sound ever.  A local luthier, Mark Umphred, did the assembly and setup for me, and it couldn't play better.

I was unbelievably lucky to strike gold on my first effort in terms of nailing looks that suit my tastes and also having everything amount to a great sounding/playing instrument.  It was an intimidatingly high bar to try to match, but I've been inspired of late and hope to have something great to share in the nearish future. :)

Negative, so that'd be another way it's not true to the Geddy design.

I did get a chance to take a few new pictures of it:

P4150045.jpg

P4150039.jpg

P4150030.jpg

AAA in 95 = AAAAA in 2011. Theres inflation on everything - even flame ratings.

Sweet thumper.

NonsenseTele said:
What a lovely flamed maple!!!! =)

Totally agree! :)

Gauthier (goats-yay) said:
AAA in 95 = AAAAA in 2011. Theres inflation on everything - even flame ratings.

Yeah, I honestly couldn't believe how gorgeous the flame was when I got it, I initially felt bad about "compromosing" for monetary reasons, and then Warmoth sent me that body, so it was kind of nice (and rare) to be rewarded for my frugality, lol.

Jack Michaelson said:
Looks way better than the usual black and white ones.

Thanks!  I was pretty thrilled that I emphasized the cosmetic choices on this body and still wound up with a great sounding instrument - even without the 70's spacing the mids are very defined and you can still get a plenty percussive sound without right hand fatigue if you want it.

Not too shabby.  I'm late to this thread.  It came and went the month I had no internet.

I have a few questions and observations.  Did the Geddy Lee J-Bass neck have any fitment issues?  I've heard they're a booger and require modding.  It's just semantics, but I believe the neck is CIJ and not MIJ.

Aye, it'll do. :)

Re: the questions, the neck didn't require modding, but there was some overhang from the finish, so it didn't initially fit in the neck pocket until that finish was sanded down.  The neck holes lined up fine, but Warmoth's screws were apparently either shorter or narrower than those used on the original (or the Warmoth body is possibly thicker than Fender's Geddy body?).  I don't believe he needed to dowel the holes or drill new ones; he may have just swapped my screws for some of his own that were more substantial, but I honestly can't remember anymore.

And you're right that it's CIJ, I didn't honestly know about that distinction until I Googled.  :doh:

Awesome bass! Congrats.

Ok, so I have to get this off my chest. There has never been a good time but this just might be the closest I will get. Here it goes, hmm hmmm. OK.

First off I need to clarify "No Homo"...Corey you are such a handsome man with soft yet striking features. Your avatar often catches my attention. But like I said No Homo. I'm just secure enough in myself to be able to say that.

Disco Scottie said:
pabloman said:
I feel as though your piercing eyes can see into my soul.
Stop, you're scaring the children. Perhaps you two should rent a room.

The next comment is going to be something like "So what were you wearing when you took that beautiful portrait?" :blob7:

Back