Front-routed Velocity build

Hey all, my first post here, but was doing plenty of lurking before to pick up various tips and tricks :)

I present to you my first Warmoth build, started as an unfinished Velocity black korina body (with control cavity and pickup routs omitted) and a canary Warhead 25.5" neck with canary fretboard.

7ESanZNl.jpg

I decided to do things differently and went with a front-route & pickguard after being inspired by designs like the PRS Mira and Starla.  The electronics are PRS Starla humbuckers and the toggle switch is for a single-coil tap.  I cut the pickguard myself as well.  After routing, I stained the body green with General Finishes' Green Wood Dye and clear coated with 9 coats of TruOil (wet sanded after 5th coat and thin coats there on after).

Here's an imgur album of the various stages: http://imgur.com/a/9Zbuz

That is exceptionally cool. Love me a pickguard on an electric guitar - even more so where they don't usually belong.

Did Warmoth charge extra for not routing the control cavity?

That looks like Top Route is a natural .
Good design on the flick plate.

A couple of variations come to mind as I view that now.

Fat Pete said:
That is exceptionally cool. Love me a pickguard on an electric guitar - even more so where they don't usually belong.

Did Warmoth charge extra for not routing the control cavity?

Thanks!  So Yes and No...  "Yes" because they don't have a selection in their body builder for anything but a rear-route and this shows up as a $20 charge even after requesting no control cavity route what-so-ever.  "No" because making the request for no route did not cost anything more.  But as you can see, I was hoping they wouldn't charge me $20 for the non-existent rear-route in the first place.

That is a very handsome bit of work.  I'm inspired.  TIme to go home and get some projects moving again!

Congratulations on your new instrument of mass awesomeness.

I love this build. I've had so many ideas of adding a pickguard to a velocity. You could get a carved top and do a Ricky inspired build, go the extra mile and use some sharkfin inlays. The Tiesco talk lately alongside the goldfoil pickups gave some inspiration too. It's a really versatile platform. I love it. Nice work!

If anyone else needs to cut their own pickguard in the future, I found Sully's Guitar Garage video on how to do so to be excellent:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-evGedydIk

Turned out pretty much exactly how I wanted it to.

TVs Ross said:
Super cool! The green on the black korina looks amazing!

Thanks!  I messed with a few variations of black sanded back with green on top, then green and amber mixes (on a test piece).  None of them looked as good as strait green. The natural figure of the black korina did the rest in terms of having some color variation.

Every time I see green on Black Korina I run off to the showcase and start looking to see what else is there. It's really one of those combinations that you woudn't think works well, but always seems to come out looking great.

Congrats on the build. Really nice work.

Wow nice and unique!
Im planning also to do the same body and neck for the next project.

Question:
1. Is it 720 mod pocket? If not how does the gap with the body is it ok?
And the action with wilkinson bridge?

2. Is the warhead neck fine? Or much better with the vortex head stock?

3. Pls post videos / picture with the velocity playing standing/ sitting position

I really want to see🙏🏻😊

Thank u so much

Very nice job! :icon_thumright: And what a neat idea to front rout it.

Out of curiosity, did you oil or condition the fretboard? And what kind of case are you using?

Glimmer said:
Very nice job! :icon_thumright: And what a neat idea to front rout it.

Out of curiosity, did you oil or condition the fretboard? And what kind of case are you using?

Thanks!  I did not condition the fretboard or neck in any way since Warmoth claims that Canary requires no finish.  If you have heard otherwise then I'm all ears.

The case is from a Fender Strat that I own, the 25.5" scale makes the instrument nearly the same length as a strat, but about 1/2" shorter due to the body being shorter than a strat's.  Good enough to use as a substitute until I either build my own or buy a high quality gig bag.

Green on black korina looks great. I also like the pickguard design.  :icon_thumright:

Back