From modern to vintage (Finished)

Surf n Music

20220411-215612.jpg

Just needs a bit of set up. Really enjoyed this project.

This was the 2nd guitar I had put together. I loved the finish but over the years it suffered some large chips and with the bridge I had installed I could never get the top E sting to intonate properly. So I decided to convert it to a vintage bridge and refinish it. Got a more vintage style neck too. Got it preped and just waiting for a string of nice days to spray.

FB-IMG-1648480379758.jpg

20220328-080145.jpg

20220328-073821.jpg

stratamania said:
Cool, what colour do you planned for it?

I think a faded blonde. Do a white undercoat on the edges and then blonde over. Little nervous but I'll just wait for the good weather, warm my rattle cans up and take it slow with many light coats. Excited to try it too.

Surf n Music said:
stratamania said:

I think a faded blonde. Do a white undercoat on the edges and then blonde over. Little nervous but I'll just wait for the good weather, warm my rattle cans up and take it slow with many light coats. Excited to try it too.

That should look good. I keep thinking of redoing an ash Tele a similar colour, though it might have to wait as I am planning on some other projects to get done this summer.

StewMac did a good series of videos recently with Driftwood Guitars on finishing which might be worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntsiNsaaNHM&list=PLtfY51hxxbEeQFHPOtsHoJ71jq3HeGgCv

stratamania said:
Surf n Music said:
stratamania said:

That should look good. I keep thinking of redoing an ash Tele a similar colour, though it might have to wait as I am planning on some other projects to get done this summer.

StewMac did a good series of videos recently with Driftwood Guitars on finishing which might be worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntsiNsaaNHM&list=PLtfY51hxxbEeQFHPOtsHoJ71jq3HeGgCv

Ya I watched those a few times! So helpful. The nice thing was when I sanded down the body it looks like warmoth had put a layer of epoxy down as base. Got through the color and it left me a nice smooth base layer. I'll keep an eye out for your future projects. We moved up to Tahoe and have a lot more time on my hands so really enjoying tinkering and getting back into music.

Well it has turned out more of a mocha color but I'm stoked. I think it will look good. Some wet sanding and more days of clear coats ahead.

20220406-155226.jpg

20220406-155236.jpg

Thanks guys. Never used lacquer before. Having lots of fun.

A black would look good. I'll probably throw it together with the tortoise and see if it grows on me. Always easy to play around.

A bit further. Just got to wet sand the body, assemble n set up. The spray was tricky at times. Learned a lot. Rattle caned it in a garage. A few flaws but I'm supper happy. So much fun.

20220410-155044.jpg

20220410-154102.jpg

I love your color choices... looks so yummy that I'd love to taste it. Congratulations

Back