Fretless Tele Neck Advice

Smadella

Hello fellow Warmoth Bassplayers.
I have a 12 year old Warmoth Jazz 5 and I've been itching to convert it to a fretless 5 {preferably with a Tele neck} would love to know y'all's take on it.
Or if it's even possible.

Advice and input much appreciated.

Best
Samson

Sure it's possible, just grab a pair of pliers and get plucking.

Personally I'd recommend getting a fretless neck myself. that way it's easier to go back if you don't like it.

One of the advantages of a bolt on neck design.

Hey thanks,
I'd like to get a new fretless neck from Warmoth.
Yeah, I guess the bolt-on design allows that. 

I was wondering if the intonation will get affected because of the fretless neck. Will it?
Is it a simple job - replacing a fretted to fretless?

Thanks.

The intonation will probably need adjusting slightly, I'd imagine.

You would have to drop the strings down a bit at the saddle, at least the height of the frets.

Thanks, amigarobbo,

Sorry to bug with so many questions.

Would it be possible, for the new neck to be oriented as EADGC (with a Hipshot Drop 'D') instead of BEADG.

I fancy the bass being able to do both tricks – be the original 5 string and the fretless 5 as and when I please.
Or does it seem like it'll strain the body too much with the neck tensions?

Dang, I sound ambitious :(

Your thoughts please.

S

Certainly possible, but not really practical.  For starters, you'll really want to put threaded inserts on both necks so you can swap them without destroying the heel.  You'll also need to intonate every time you swap, especially if you want the two different tunings.

Pelagaard said:
Certainly possible, but not really practical.  For starters, you'll really want to put threaded inserts on both necks so you can swap them without destroying the heel.  You'll also need to intonate every time you swap, especially if you want the two different tunings.

Thanks, Pelagaard.
That sounds impractical for sure.
That brings me to my next question: It is possible to make it EADGC (with a hipshot D), without trying the two necks drama that I had in mind earlier, yeah?

Pelagaard said:
As a dedicated instrument? Absolutely, its all in the intonation.

Yes, as a dedicated EADGC bass.

Which brings me to the issue of a bolt-on on my Warmoth Jazz 5.
I see all the (Tele Deluxe 5) necks are the ones with 4 holes or none.

Should I be ordering the one without holes, and drill 'em later?

I appreciate you taking the time and answering my trivial questions.

Best,
Samson

I don't understand your question.  If your body is a Warmoth body, it should have 4 mounting holes unless it was ordered without originally. The only ones I know of that don't are the Gecko Wide 5 or 6.

TonyFlyingSquirrel said:
I'm curious why this thread is in the Gallery section.

This is my first post on the forum, so I put this here by mistake.
In a bit I'll be putting up pictures of my bass, hopefully then the thread will be legit.

If this thread can be transferred to where it belongs, that'll be nice.

Thanks for pointing out.
I'll be careful where to post next time I have questions.

Best,
Samson

Pelagaard said:
I don't understand your question.  If your body is a Warmoth body, it should have 4 mounting holes unless it was ordered without originally. The only ones I know of that don't are the Gecko Wide 5 or 6.

I did confuse you, sorry.
Here's some pics of my Jazz 5.
Hopefully the fretless neck should easily fit in :)

Best,
Samson

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    721.9 KB · Views: 640
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 602
Back