Fretless Gecko Bass or Frettles Jazz Bass ?

Lorenzop

I cant decide!
I´m aware the 35" scale of Gecko just MIGHT improve B string clarity a bit but other than that waht are your thoughts?

Im looking for maximum sustain, and a bright, glassy, singing "mwaaah" sound with maximum sustain for the note to bloom. I certainly do not want a "woody" sound, I want a modern "Pedulla" like sound.

I was thinking of a Jazz P/J configuration but so many raves about Gecko that I really dont know now. Is Gecko neck really superior as a far as sustain goes?

The second most important question is: What neck woods?
My choice of woods is Ash body and Maple/Ebony neck or Wenge/Ebony neck. Many say Maple/Ebony on ash could be too bright and so many rave about Wenge necks, and Warmoth lists as a good sustaining wood, but is Wenge better than Maple for sustain?

Thanks for your comments!

Hi, and welcome to the 'boards! -I have only Fenderish basses; never had a gecko. Check out the thread on fretless geckos that has been runnin' here in general discussion. I can't imagine you are gonna be sad about either choice! I wouldn't be afraid of maple/ash being too bright; -that is what tone knobs are for! Plus, there has to be something there to compensate for those mellow flat-wound strings!  -But, then again, going raw/no-finish is sooo enticing...

Sorry I wasn't much help.  :dontknow: -But stick around; there are a lot of helpful/knowing people on this forum; you'll get the answers and input ya need to go forth with confidence!  :guitaristgif:

maple /ebony makes for a wonderful combo and should provide sufficent sparkle .

I've paired it with both alder and swamp ash .  Through some Bartolini's in it with their 5.2 preamp and it will give you everything from woody to sparkle

Lorenzop said:
I cant decide!
I´m aware the 35" scale of Gecko just MIGHT improve B string clarity a bit but other than that waht are your thoughts?

Im looking for maximum sustain, and a bright, glassy, singing "mwaaah" sound with maximum sustain for the note to bloom. I certainly do not want a "woody" sound, I want a modern "Pedulla" like sound.

I was thinking of a Jazz P/J configuration but so many raves about Gecko that I really dont know now. Is Gecko neck really superior as a far as sustain goes?

The second most important question is: What neck woods?
My choice of woods is Ash body and Maple/Ebony neck or Wenge/Ebony neck. Many say Maple/Ebony on ash could be too bright and so many rave about Wenge necks, and Warmoth lists as a good sustaining wood, but is Wenge better than Maple for sustain?

Thanks for your comments!
I really like the 35" scale length for 5 stringers. I was using a borrowed J bass 5 before I got my Lakland. The B really seems much better on the 35".

Back