Fretboard Inlays

Bikeman476

I have a Telecaster project that I've built from parts and I really love it.  My only issue is that when I ordered the neck I thought it would look good to go with no fretboard inlays since the fretboard is some really nice looking flame maple.

I've changed my mind and now I'd like to inlay some abalone dots along the bass E string (top) of the fretboard before the 12th fret and along the treble E string (bottom) of the fretboard after the 12th fret.

I don't want to mess up a lovely (and expensive) piece of wood by just 'drilling and filling' unless I can be pretty sure the method I use is correct and won't chip or dent the neck around the inlays.

Any idea where I would go to learn how to do this (or have someone do it for me)?  I'm in Minnesota but obviously the neck can be mailed anywhere. 

Thanks for reading!

I apologize for not having the experience for a direct answer (someone else here likely will), but the modder in me wishes to point out that there are also vinyl decals for use as faux fret inlays. They're relatively inexpensive, you can do them yourself, and you can remove them should you want something else later. A blank fretboard could be a good excuse/opportunity to keep switching it up.

Granted, I can see how that seems tacky to some people, but I still remember decorating a body finish I hated with electrical tape in the '90s. ;)

Thanks, AC Wraith!

I actually bought some stickers to play around with and that's how I figured out that I'd prefer the inlayed fretboard to the empty (except for the frets, of course) one. 

- Erik (Bikeman476)

I have no experience with this either (however this is an interesting through project).  Having said that, I've learned to do binding an inlay.  If you look at the Jun Guitar of the Month, you can see the binding / inlay work.

If it were I....

If using a Dremel, I'd get the Plunge Router base for a Dremel from StewMac.  I used this tool to do the inlay on my guitar.  Excellent tool for precise routing.  If you're doing dots, figure a way to center it on the fretboard.  If doing something like a trapezoid, this tool will allow for very precise cuts.  You can float this base on the frets, but make sure the frets are really smooth so the base doesn't catch on anything, and make your shape routes.  Then, glue in your inlays and sand flush with the fretboard surface.  Also get good quality, sharp routing bits.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-binding/stewmac-plunge-router-base

Interesting, I just noticed Stewmac has a sale on this tool, which also includes their Dremel Tilt Base for cheaper than the Plunge Router alone.

Because it's what I have access to, I'd mount it up in a milling machine and use a table of fret offsets to locate. I'd probably just use a 4 flute carbide end mill for the cutting.

Not the fastest way, but precise.

It all depends on the tools you access to.  No tools, then hire someone to do it.  You got the tools ... then go for it.

Look for someone in your area that can do engraving using a CO2 laser. I have used this for 2 necks and have less money invested than the cost of StewMac’s plunge router base. The laser only removes organic material and doesn’t harm the frets. You can get as creative with the inlay as you wish. My guy takes vector images and programs them into the cutting machine. You can even cut the mother of pearl to fit exactly into the design cut into the fretboard. I used crushed mother of pearl in the example.

Attachments

• KNOT INLAY.gif
    KNOT INLAY.gif
    2.3 MB · Views: 133
How do you know people with CO2 lazers?  Is that a common thing?  I didn't know.

rick2 said:
How do you know people with CO2 lazers?  Is that a common thing?  I didn't know.

Most maker spaces will have one. I work at a uni, we've had one in the lab where I do most of my fabrication work for 8 years, 18*24'" bed, 60 watt CO2 laser.

If I needed it, I could get access to a uv cutter that can cut metals.

I've also built a couple of laser systems for research work, a high end 40 watt CO2 laser cavity runs about $15k, a simple workhorse version, < $1k.

Sadie-f said:
rick2 said:

Most maker spaces will have one. I work at a uni, we've had one in the lab where I do most of my fabrication work for 8 years, 18*24'" bed, 60 watt CO2 laser.

If I needed it, I could get access to a uv cutter that can cut metals.

I've also built a couple of laser systems for research work, a high end 40 watt CO2 laser cavity runs about $15k, a simple workhorse version, < $1k.

You are a bad-ass, Sadie.  :icon_thumright:

rick2 said:
I found my guy by google searching engraving and etching in my area. Anyone doing etching of organic materials like wood or leather may be using the CO2 type equipment.

JPOL007 said:
rick2 said:
I found my guy by google searching engraving and etching in my area. Anyone doing etching of organic materials like wood or leather may be using the CO2 type equipment.

Ya - there are several local folks in my area as well.  Check this out:

index.php

That is laser engraved through the paint.

Attachments

• IMG_6968.JPG
    IMG_6968.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 275
Mayfly said:
JPOL007 said:
rick2 said:

Ya - there are several local folks in my area as well.  Check this out:

index.php

That is laser engraved through the paint.
Sweet looking job

Thanks!  That's just rattle can paint in the garage.  The laser folks are charging $6.00 per box in quantity.

Mayfly said:
You are a bad-ass, Sadie.  :icon_thumright:

Heh, thanks! And you're probably not wrong ;-) result of lots of time misspent in machine shops and laboratories.

Here's some laser etching work I did to help my wife with one of her art pieces. In backside of glass mirrors and faces of dichroic coated sheet glass.

Attachments

• 16300588277560.jpg
    16300588277560.jpg
    457.6 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    857.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 10_Xaphania_#1.JPG
    10_Xaphania_#1.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 116
Back