Fret buzzing help needed

Eisenhower42

Hi folks. I'm a relative newbie here, and I've only had one Warmoth neck before the one in question, but I need some ideas on a neck I received several weeks ago that I cannot stop buzzing on the E-A-D strings, no matter how I adjust the truss rod.

It's a roasted maple/roasted maple modern construction Strat Neck, fatback profile, with 10-16 radius, 6150 frets, Schaller locking tuners, graphtec string tree, graphtec TUSQ nut. I currently have the neck mounted on a Fender Telecaster body, as I'm waiting on my Warmoth Tele body to arrive (routed for Strat neck heel, of course). The problem, as I mentioned, is that no matter how I adjust the neck for flatness or relief, I get quite a lot of fret buzz on the E-A-D strings, with my action set in the 2-2.5 mm range at the 12th fret. (I can't go any higher, because I'm using a Fender six-saddle vintage style bridge, and if I go higher, the adjustment screw comes too close to the string and causes buzzing of its own).

I recognize the caveat about Warmoth frets may need a level/dress, but as I said my only prior experience (about six months ago) was with a Tele neck, same frets, and it was dead perfect out of the box, on the same guitar, no buzzes or issues of any sort.

Now ... making this problem more complicated is that I'm an American expat in Saudi Arabia. So sending the neck to the States for a level/dress would cost me just about as much as another neck from Warmoth. There is no one in Saudi capable of doing this job - at least not where I am.

So my question is, what would you recommend? I am a pretty handy setting up my own guitars, but I've never tackled fret work of any sort and I don't really have the straight-edge tools to find where a high spot or dip might be on this neck.

Any suggestions in light of all this?

Thanks,
DeWayne

Try using a fret rocker to check the frets. If you don't have one take a utility knife blade and use that. Look on YouTube for videos (there are tons) on using fret rockers. You may have a fret that is a little high. I use my fret rocker and fret kisser (Stewmac) fret file to adjust individual frets with issues. The fret rockers and fret kisser can be found on Amazon. Amazon has a notched straight edge and fret rocker set for less than $20 US.

Yes, Europe would be the best option for sending out for work. That may be what I have to do. Will wait to see how it acts with the body it's intended for and then possibly send it off.

Thanks,
DeWayne

Thanks much. I have a Warmoth neck right now being finished by a guy in Holland who owns Lonestar Guitars. If that work goes well, I have inquired if he can do a fret level/polish for me on this neck.

DeWayne

Back