Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman: Festival of the New Wine

Tyrannocaster

F meets the W is not one of the best Universal horror films from the 30s/40s, but it has one great thing in it: the Festival of the New Wine. I have been wanting to do a Surf version of this for ages, but I realized it would work better as a Rautalanka tune, so here we are.

(Rautalanka is a Finnish genre of instrumental pop music that was popular in the 60s, and they still have Rautalanka festivals in Finland today. It's similar to American Surf music, but there are some key differences: it's usually in a minor key, and often sounds vaguely "Russian". The Finns have honed the guitar sound to perfection and some of them are really good players, but it's always cool in the emotional sense, unlike American Surf. The equipment of choice is a single coil Strat, an AC-30, and a vintage tape echo.)

BTW, Rautalanka means "Iron Wire" in Finnish, a guitar reference that I think is pretty neat.

Anyway, I tried to do this with each of my Strats and wasn't satisfied so I used my old Warmoth Tele, which has never let me down.  :headbang: (Pic attached.)

The tune is packed with in-jokes, but hopefully if you don't get them it won't matter. I just like the song.

Here you go:
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tyrannocaster-rex/frankenstein-meets-the-wolfman-festival-of-the-new-wine[/soundcloud]

Attachments

• RedTeleCUsmall.jpg
    RedTeleCUsmall.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 177
Back