Fralin Twangmaster - the honeymoon period is over

fdesalvo

..and I'm still in love.

I honestly can't imagine a traditional single coil giving me better tone - I went in looking for single coil tone for my neck position, by the way.  I have a tele build that's in process and I have a feeling I'm going to be missing this tone.

Compared to any other pickup I've ever run, this one sounds alive and organic.  I have to stress the adjective "organic".  The SD Jazz, Burstbuckers, 496R, Alnico II, Pearly Gates, and various other models sounded sterile by comparison.  Sterile may sound harsh, but I never realized this until I tried this pickup.  This is the kind of pickup you build a guitar around. 

It does the spanky strat thing to the T, but it just sounds bigger - yet still stratty, which usually doesn't jive.  In most other cases, when you have a higher powered single coil, you get boat loads of mids and lack of headroom.  The Twangmaster give me a huge girthy strat tone with big, jangly sparkle. 

I will tell you that I have it paired with a SD JB in the bride and the in-between position has lost the hollowed out tone that I do enjoy - I probably need to reverse the phase of the JB.  But, no matter!  This neck tone is phenominal and I want my next build to have one of these in the neck and bridge slots. 

I like the P92s and Twangmasters the most. The Split Blades are a close competitor, though. Definitely a great sounding pickup. To me it's like a cross between a strat pickup and a Rickenbacker "toaster" pickup. Excellent tone. Glad you're satisfied!

Back