Fluorescent lamps - does polarity matter re. noise?

stubhead

Master Member
I just got an old, perfectly functional Luxo swing-arm fluorescent lamp that of necessity will be mounted sort of close to my computer and the mini-mixer for my practicing rig. I do need to replace the dried out plastic cord, though. The old plug doesn't have a fat blade/thin blade to indicate which one should go into the socket. The lamp works fine either way. When I put the new cord on, is there any reason to assign the polarity of the new plug a certain way? It will be connected to a different socket than the other stuff, but it may be on the same circuit breaker - unless I shouldn't do that. It's got a transformer in there the size of... umm, half a pound of butter? Some noise problems can arise from fluorescent lamps, as I know from long beer-drenched* nights in strange old saloons - but I don't know if it's grounding problems, shared lines or what.

*(the neon beer signs, not me. Somewhat.)

There should be a ridge on one side of the wire to indicate the polarity. Make sure the plug follows the polarity as it should.

If the lamp is fluroescent, it has a ballast.  If you can get to that, the ballast should be marked with either the polarity or the usual black and white wires for hot and neutral.  Polarity should not matter though, with AC power.

Back