Fish Eyes new maple neck

RossL

I have a small area on a new maple new with fish eyes.  I am using Stewmac aged clear lacquer (spray can).  I've tried stripping the area a couple of times..........sanding and cleaning with prepsall and mineral spirits.  Letting the neck sit over night.  Third time now a small area about 3/4 of an inch, the lacquer doesn't seen to take.  As I put more coats of the aged lacquer it becomes more obvious.

Any suggestions?

The Stewmac recommendation  is naphtha, then mineral spirts, then diluted ammonia as prep for finishing. I usually get by with just naphtha, but each solution is used to tackle a different contaminant.

Or, you might consider sanding it back done and trying a shellac wash coat. Shellac is the rosetta stone for finishes. It sticks to just about everything and almost every finish sticks to it.

No amount of sanding and chemical cleaning helped.

I used Zinsser (Rustoelum) Bulls Eye Seal Coat/Universal sanding sealer part # 854.  Problem solved.  I've done a few other maple Fender style necks with no problem at all, not sure what happened to this one.

Silicone possibly, evil bane of wood finishers. Glad you found something to cover it.

Back