First post for me...and my bass

Been lurking for a while and decided to join up. Here's my entry...

IMG_0295_zps72a3ef8d.jpg

IMG_0297_zps961d98b2.jpg

IMG_0301_zpsb1763040.jpg

IMG_0300_zps0b37a2f6.jpg

IMG_0298_zps5cf20a1f.jpg

2-piece walnut body, rosewood neck, DiMarzio pups, Gotoh hardware, Dave Johnson finish

The rear 3-way selects the J pup (up-neck/middle-both/down-bridge) and it's output feeds the front 3-way (up-P/middle-P+ rear 3-way/down-rear 3-way). Then the signal feeds the stacked master vol/tone. Also, the bass is tuned B-E-A-D. I built her mainly for recording.

LewisCountyLad said:
The rear 3-way selects the J pup (up-neck/middle-both/down-bridge) and it's output feeds the front 3-way (up-P/middle-P+ rear 3-way/down-rear 3-way). Then the signal feeds the stacked master vol/tone. Also, the bass is tuned B-E-A-D. I built her mainly for recording.

This tuning is the best of both worlds if you want the benefits of a 5 string on a 4 string neck.  Especially if you play in the groove more than doing fills & stuff.

Beautiful build, nice job!

Beautiful collection.

Interesting that you chose to string your Jazz B -> D.
All 3 of my Jazzes are 5-strings.  I love having the versatility.  I can ignore the low B when I don't need it, and often times when I'm position playing I'll play the E as the 5th fret of the B rather than the open string.

How do you like the 3 pickup config?  I usually use both pickups all the time on all my basses.

LewisCountyLad said:

can you explain this in more detail for me?
I am not sure I understand, I am VERY interested in how you have it set up.  I am looking at a 3 pickup pbass combination.  I was thinking three volumes and a tone.

swarfrat said:
It'll work for a 3 pickup anything.
Yup, good for any 3-pup guitar. One of my earliest Warmoth strat builds (right after the brothers and Sr. left Boogie Bodies) used this switching instead of the standard 5-way. Having the two extra sounds available on a strat is cool: bridge+neck (tele-ish) and all-3-on.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the pots, isn't the left lug ground, center lug signal in, and right lug signal out? If so, the purple should go top lug center and the yellow bottom lug right if you're going volume into tone then out.

The centre lug is normally the output when used as a volume pot. So the wiring looks correct to me.

However sometimes in some wiring schemes where more than one volume pot is used this may be different. E.g.  In dual humbucker schemes to avoid one volume pot turning down the signal of both pickups the centre is used as an input. Often called vintage or independent wiring.

Pharos said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but on the pots, isn't the left lug ground, center lug signal in, and right lug signal out? If so, the purple should go top lug center and the yellow bottom lug right if you're going volume into tone then out.

You don't want to use the wiper terminal as an input, unless you don't have any other choice. Volume pots are only wired backwards when there needs to be multiple volume pots with no pickup selector switch. The backwards wiring ensures that they can function independently,  but the taper and functionality suffers as a result of it. With a master volume scheme, always wire in the typical fashion, with the wiper terminal as the output.

Back