First of two Body/Neck combos arriving..

War_in_D

Got two builds coming up.  This is the first body/neck to come in, still waiting on the Showcase body/neck I ordered from Warmoth to ship.  This body and neck came by way of Ebay, and just arrived today.  So, it's out of the "Ebay" box.. 

Soloist Body was listed as maple over Alder, but after looking at it I'm thinking it's maple over swamp ash.  The wood in the neck pocket and pickup route is way too grainy to be alder.  Let me know what you think.  Also looks to be a one piece back.  Body has a really nice quilt top, and the contoured neck heel.  Somebody spec'ed this one out really nice and I know it couldn't have been cheap.  The only down side, is that there are many little dings in the finish on the top and one pretty good spot where to clear has chipped off the body near where the hole was drilled for the single control.  I was thinking of sanding down the top only and staining it again, but I'm wary of that curved top.

Neck... Holy Cow, what can I say about that neck!  For what I gave for both of these pieces, I think the neck would have been worth the price of admission alone.  Listing had it described as roasted flamed mahogany, but I could see it was maple from the grain pattern.  Black ebony board, with SS 6105 frets (not my first choice, but hey.. ).  The listing didn't have many specifics on it, but for the price it was listed at I had to jump on it fast.  In the end, it turned out to be perfect for me..  22 fret, 1 11/16th wide at the nut and Standard Thin with 10-16 compound radius.  This is my first roasted maple neck, so I'm curious to try it out.     

Attachments

• Soloist Body.jpg
    Soloist Body.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Soloist neck .jpg
    Soloist neck .jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 193
  • Soloist neck 2.jpg
    Soloist neck 2.jpg
    650.5 KB · Views: 239
  • Soloist body 2.jpg
    Soloist body 2.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 185
  • Soloist pickup.jpg
    Soloist pickup.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 185
Nice finds!

Agree that the body appears to be ash, but the neck looks like mahogany to me - and not roasted. If it was roasted maple it wouldn't have the 'warranty void without a hard finish' warning.

I'm agreeing with Fat Pete. The body is ash. And I've seen some figured mahogany that looks like that before, plus the finish warning makes me think the neck is hog.
You could just leave the finish scars in the top and call it road worn............ :icon_thumright:

I don't know, but if it is mahogany, it's the slickest.. most non porous mahogany I've ever seen.. lol

stratamania said:
Nice find.

What does the neck smell of?

I can't really smell anything on it.  Not sure if a roasted neck would have a different smell, or if it did.. how long it would last.  From the date stickers in the body, it went to paint on 07/19 and there is another one that says BC 09/19.  If the body and neck were ordered at the same time, that would make it roughly a year old.

Here are a couple of pics of the neck I just received.  First is next to the only non-finished mahogany neck I have (on a Carvin CT), and the neck is beside a Warmoth Birdseye neck.  I'm still voting maple.. lol

Attachments

• Mahogany vs Maple.jpg
    Mahogany vs Maple.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 171
  • Maple vs Maple.jpg
    Maple vs Maple.jpg
    554.6 KB · Views: 166
My apologies for so many consecutive post, but this neck really has me puzzled..  I've looked all around the web, etc. and you guys are correct.  I have yet to see a roasted maple neck that had the "hard finish" stamp on it.  That led me to closer examine the neck, including the end grain of the heel.. which is not quite as porous as mahogany, but not as tightly grained as I would expect from maple.

Then I noticed it.. the grain has this "swirl" pattern to it, for lack of a better word and I was thinking where have I seen that before.  Then it hit me.  One of my previous builds had a flamed walnut top on it that had that odd (almost fibrous) look to it, and this looks really similar.  Got me wondering now, if it's walnut. 

Attachments

• Walnut.jpg
    Walnut.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 163
  • b8cbd50d.jpg
    b8cbd50d.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 172
Thank you all for the kind comments, and thoughts on the wood..  I'm still skeptical of it being mahogany though, but I could be wrong.  It just doesn't seem "grainy" enough, for lack of a better term.  The neck is very slick, without the open pores like I see on that unfinished Carvin neck or even on my finished mahogany necks where you can still see the pores through the finish.  If it is mahogany, maybe the way it was cut would impact the way it looks but I don't know.  Just remembering what the grain on that walnut top looked like, not to mention the color really makes me lean toward it being walnut now but I'm definitely no expert.

Anyway, on a side note.. I received the notification that my showcase body/neck shipped!  Should be here next week.  The neck is standard run of the mill, but the body should be a stunner.. Will post pics when it gets here.

If it is mahogany, maybe the way it was cut would impact the way it looks but I don't know.

You've hit it right there. The way it's cut very much effect's the way wood will look.... :icon_thumright:
Either way though, it's a fantastic looking neck.... :headbang:

PhilHill said:
Either way though, it's a fantastic looking neck.... :headbang:

You are exactly right, my good sir..  I'm going to quit stressing over it, and just play the darn thing.. LOL

Thanks again all!!

Looks like Mahogany to me.

Check this out (one of the earliest vids I ever did for Warmoth):

[youtube]https://youtu.be/FzoHRUtKibQ[/youtube]

The Aaron said:
Looks like Mahogany to me.

Check this out (one of the earliest vids I ever did for Warmoth):

[youtube]https://youtu.be/FzoHRUtKibQ[/youtube]

Cool vid, awesome neck!  Thanks for posting..  Somebody got a killer neck there for sure!   

Back