Finishing a black korina body with binding

guitarman

Hi,

I'm planning a build that includes a black korina body with binding.

I want to stain the grain a little to get a nice black grain. (With grainfiller?)

Then would like a transparant finish that darkens the wood a little.

After this, a clear coat of poly.

What products do you recommend to do this from stewmac or wudtone?

I do not have any experience at all in doing this. I do have a lot of time, and patience. ☺

I was thinking to use wipe on product only.

Any advice, or a walktrough would be welcome!!!

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I'm sure you will get some very good information on how to accomplish the look you are after.

Regarding Wudtone, give them a call and describe your needs. They will be able to tell you if their products can do what you want.

There's a certain amount of both masking and scraping involved, but that requirement ends when you get to the clear coats. I did both the binding and finishing on the L5S my sig below and talk about it in this thread, if you're interested. It's kinda long, so you'll have to row through it a bit, but it's there.

WOW, thats a really nice guitar!!

Great info to share.

But i am looking for something more indepth about finishing the guitar.

From staining, pore filling and coating a guitar (In a wipe on fashion) to finishing to a satin or gloss result.

I am at that point right now, a black limba body that I've been waiting for ideal temps to spray with lacquer. Except that I'm reluctant to disassemble it as I play the bejeezus  out of it, can't get enough of that roasted neck!  :bananaguitar: I was thinking of doing black grain filler, but the look of the wood is "busy" by itself, and am wondering if the black grain filler would put it over the top. I'd really like to find a pic of black limba with black grain filler, but I haven't come across one yet.

Been playing with a cutoff, one side is "clear" grain filled and the other, black. The clear side I filled with CA, and cant stand using it. The vapors are hideous, and it loads up sandpaper quickly. The black is a spackle/acrylic paint mix I saw someone do on youtube. Real easy to do, dries quick, and doesn't load sandpaper at all. For the black, I brushed on some shellac first, filled, and sanded. I would in practice spray on a coat of shellac afterwards as a seal coat, but I just wanted to evaluate the look, so just sprayed a couple of coats of lacquer on both sides and took the pics. I'm really liking the black grain filler. I'm going to look at it, then not look at it for a while, then look at it again to see if I still like it  :laughing3: :laughing3:

[youtube]JmvA7oWGb40[/youtube]

The black grain fill looks good to me but if you wanted the clear look, there are other types of grain filler.

Hey!!
I'm really liking that AxeFX in a combo cabinet!  I think I should make one of those!!

stratamania said:
I was wondering about the Axe-FX in the cab also. Does it have a built-in power amp?

At the bottom is a peavey 50w 4 x el84 amp, with a G12H-30, so it runs without power amp and cab sims on. I made it originally for an Ampeg chassis I had, but that amp sounded dead and lifeless. (below)

Applying a diy tobacco sunburst, is this doable???

Finishing with gloss paint, but topping of with a clear satin, would this work? I want a satin finish. 😊

Don't mind the hijack. Axe owner myself, and really enjoying it!!!

Back