Finally found the combo for nutty goodness

fdesalvo

Another quick drive-by posting. I do miss hanging out here!  Kids have me so busy, but it’s a good busy. The kind where good laughs and love cost a man in the form of eye bags and premature melty face aging. Totally worth it for you younger cats reading.

A while back I decided to try the ol’ 1-5/8” nut width with a round back profile. While this made for the most comfortable of all the combos I’ve tried a’la warmoth, I found the spacing a bit cramped. This set me on a journey to try a variety of string spacing options on the nut.

I purchased a few disposable ones to test and bought the stumac string spacing rule, which is a great value. I went slightly wider to extremely wider, the latter of which adversely affected tuning stability, as the strings angled off to their respective tuning posts.  At the end of the day, I returned to the 1-5/8” graphtech nut the neck shipped with. It was better than all the other options I tried.

In parallel with this, I was considering the move back to heavier gauge strings and bought a few packs of rotosound reds (11-58). After stringing them up I was astounded. Actually, I was stupefied. Somehow the feel of the larger strings made it easier for me to locate the strings along the neck.  Now I have finally found my ideal neck.

The 59 in the skinny width feels like I remember my friends 60’s Strat. In 1-11/16”, the feel is very wide for me and obstructive in the hand without contouring the treble end of the profile. Even then it’s a handful.

The only other curiosity remaining is going back to a straight radius. The compound radius has been kind to me, but I’m still curious about going a bit rounder. For now, I’m completely happy and have no excuses to not focus on practicing.

Hope all’s well, gang. Apologies in advance for not being able to respond in a reasonable timeframe haha!

It's good to see your posts, Frank. When you post isn't an issue. Thanks for the report on the neck specs. That's all good information. I've been wanting to try one of the 1.650 widths with a boatneck but might give a roundback a whirl.

Hi Frank! Good to hear from you here. I've ended up with 1 5/8 and 1 11/16 widths and at this point the narrow does not feel cramped to me anymore since I have it in fatter neck profiles that fill my hand but I do feel the slightly extra room when I randomly go to 1 11/16 on slimmer necks after playing the other a bunch for a while. Luckily after a few minutes my fingers adjust to the spacing. It would be interesting to try the in between width.

Back