Figured Koa short scale z-bass

ghotiphry

Going to hit you all with one, mostly.  Got some tweaking to do, and still waiting for strings, but it's 90%.

Starting points.  This bad boy right here:  Lightest body I have.  Good thing the upper horn is very long, otherwise neck dive would definitely be an issue.

Bb3Nflhh.jpg

d2nLdMQh.jpg

Pau ferro/ebony neck, repurposed from burl mooncaster.  Not the lightest, obviously.

Kmq0XhQh.jpg

Dhk2MI1h.jpg

BLACK...  black, black, black.  Did I say black?  Sorry, I meant black.

Tuners:  Schaller BM Light, because Fender doesn't make their F-stamps in black.  I prefer the clover keys, but apparently bass tuners with the two-pin mounting with clover keys in black doesn't exist in nature.  A little bit of chrome peaking thru on the string tree, but I prefer the rollers over the traditional bass tree.

NnkZN9hh.jpg

p55TjOKh.jpg

Wiring.  Okay, I used Emerson pros, and they are just long enough to go through the body if I leave off the underside washer that keeps things from spinning.  Wanted the solid brass shafts.  Not to go into it too far, but the bridge volume pot was giving out a nasty hum when turned up to full volume.  Read up on that, it appears to be a not infrequent issue.  Tore the wiring apart to replace it.  Also decided I did not like my soldering work on the tone pot, so I redid that as well.  The wires could be shorter.  I hate shortening pickup wires.  I may clean it up later.

No shielding as I have run out of copper tape.  Later...

JkzGyDuh.jpg

KI8BlLjh.jpg

About the only real "work" I have to do on this is to mark and drill the strap buttons.

Srq4YOGh.jpg

F4j3Km7h.jpg

Bridge: Hipshot type A, fender mount.  Black.  Passed up a perfectly serviceable Babicz in my spare parts bin because it has chrome accents.

Pickups: Nordstrand nj4 vintage single coils.  Replaced the covers with ones that don't have holes for the magnets.  Black.

Knobs.  Not black.  Bolivian rosewood from Etsy.  I think it adds to it.

ZDnBNt2h.jpg

WZFh7gih.jpg

Did not realize the size of the jack.  It's a panel jack.  The only one I want to use would be pure-tone.  Only comes in chrome.  Dammit anyway.  There wasn't an option to enlarge the hole to a standard 3/4" even when I bought it, and I didn't realize it was drilled for this.

8XJbPVPh.jpg

Thanks, stratamania. No, they'd have to be that plastic coated stuff.  Can't stand them.  LaBella flatwounds are my poison.

ghotiphry said:
Thanks, stratamania. No, they'd have to be that plastic coated stuff.  Can't stand them.  LaBella flatwounds are my poison.

Okay got it.

On the output jack perhaps you could paint it with Matt black or something. Just a thought as I was looking at it. Now I see this body coming together as a bass it is growing on me.

ghotiphry said:
Thank you, Jebberz!  (I think everyone's forgotten about me!)

Sincerely, I may forget you at some point, but not your basses, each one is a dispaly of awsomeness and taste.  :glasses10:

Jebberz said:
ghotiphry said:
Thank you, Jebberz!  (I think everyone's forgotten about me!)

Sincerely, I may forget you at some point, but not your basses, each one is a dispaly of awsomeness and taste.  :glasses10:

I can live with this.

Back