Fender 57/62's HELP!!

S

Slylock Fox

So I'm doing the work on my pickguard, and I have the pickups ready to go.

The problem?  They aren't labeled for positions and the wiring is all the same length.  wtf do I do?

I figured as much, but you can never be too sure....

Thanks man!!!!
:headbang: :party07: :rock-on: :guitarplayer2: :rock-on: :party07:
:blob7: :cool01: :hello2: :hello2: :blob7: :cool01: :cool01:

Do you have a meter? Typically the lower ohm pickups would go in the neck and the higher in the bridge. That being said the other important issue is magnetic polarity.

If one of the pickups has a yellow lead on it, that is the middle pickup. It is RWRP. If one does not have a yellow lead then you need to check the magnetic polarity. To do this without a compass do the following.

Start with one pickup, take a second pickup see if the top of pickup sticks to the bottom of the first. If it does, these two have the same magnetic polarity, great. Now see if the top of the third pickup will stick to the bottom of the other two. Hopefully it doesn't. Hopefully the top will stick only to the top of the other two. This means it's of opposite magnetic polarity, it should be the middle pickup.

Of the two that stuck together, one should have more winding on it than the other, this is the bridge pickup.
Typically the magnetic polarity of a three pickup set up is South, North, South (neck, middle, bridge) it is also ok if it's North, South, North. After going through all of that is would also be acceptable if all three are of the same polarity. Then it is just a matter of sorting out which one has the most winds.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Wow, that's great advice TroubledTreble, I will def be giving that a try.

I would use a meter, but it is cheap and died on me a while back.  5-way I'm not sure, I'm doing a 3-way strat.

I always thought that 57 strats used a 3 way switch design, but the parts and wiring schematic I have from fender shows it with a 5-way.  weird.

Back