Farewell To Tarwathie

Tyrannocaster

This is a song from 1850s Scotland. I just used two tracks of my new Warmoth; it seemed like adding more would just cheapen it; I love this song but I never even thought about recording it until the other night when I was messing around and I just kind of did it. With all the multitrack recording I've done, it seems like lately I've just been doing simpler things - probably a good idea where I'm concerned, LOL.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/tyrannocaster-rex/farewell-to-tarwathie[/soundcloud]

I am literally in tears.  That was absolutely beautiful.  I salute your choice to let the notes decay naturally at the end. Great tone, great phrasing, great choice of melody.  But mostly I am grateful you shared that.  Thank you.

Fantastic! I agree with Bagman67 it's beautiful and keeping it simple was definitely the right choice. The tone is wonderful, you know it's a guitar but you can't help but think of bagpipes drifting down from the Scottish Hills.......... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Wonderful ... me, I liked the beginning, felt like the bagpipes were firing up!

Thank you all for the encouragement. Thinking of pipes, I especially love listening to Uilleann pipes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uilleann_pipes); some of those guys are like Hendrix! Talk about phrasing! The Breton cornemuse is the same way, as well as some of the French piping from the interior of the country.

i always thought Gary Moore did a good job of channeling pipes on Over The Hills And Far Away.

I love the bagpipes from the British Isles, though I heard some really interesting pipes in Croatia after the war.  The roots go deep, and they have a middle eastern flavor.

I've never heard any Eastern European piping; that's worth looking into. I'm guessing it's less Celtic and more...gypsy, I guess, with odd time sigs?

Eastern European, particularly south Slavic (Bulgarian, Serbian, etc.) bagpipes are CRAZY, man - you get some wild-ass time signatures and blazing speed.  Frank Zappa on occasion pointed to Bulgarian bagpipe music as one of the things he was trying to emulate with his guitar playing.

Back