explorer or LP advice

toasterdude

Hey. I am ready to order warmoth parts for a new build but am not sure what body wood to use. The guitar will be "different". I am basically building it as a donor for the new Line6 Tyler Variax electronics. The new gen variax also usa mag pickups but I am planning on using duncan p rails in mine rather than just dual humbucker config.

I already have 2 warmoth builds that house the original variax guts  and both are swamp ash with flame top. With variax electronics body would makes negligible difference. However since the guitar will also have mag pickups I don't want to rush into building something that doesn't work. In fact I may wind up doing both a LP and an explorer and then putting new gen variax guts also into my current warmoth variax which again is swamp and maple.

My first obvious choice for the LP would be mahagony but besides wighing a ton which is not a huge concern as I am a big dude, I am wanting to match at least closely the finish on my current warmoth/variax. . .. .purple dye on the flame top and transparent purple for back and sides between  double binding. I am worried . . . .even if only  a bit . . . .that with mahagony the body would lean towards a redder shade of purple?

So I have been thinking about duplicating everything including swamp ash body and flame top for the LP and Explorer. I just never have really seen a LP that was not mahagony etc. Obviously I am not building a "real" LP and since 50% of the sound will be variax any way when mixing with the mags. . . . .I may be worried over nothing? I have seen threads here that seem to minimize the effect of body wood and that will certainly be the case for the variax side of things.

I play a little bit of everything and a lot of nothing hence the digging of variax and p rails to give the widest range of tones I can have in one guitar etc.

Would I be crazy if tomorrow I ordered:

Swamp Ash explorer body
Flame maple top
double bound in pearloid
flame maple neck with brazilian rosewood and SS frets
all waiting for 2 duncan p rails. . . .preferably in pearloid if they ever ramp up the custom shop
and also waiting for line6 JTV 59 variax electronics.

Using a POD X3 Gen I will be able to route mags to one amp chain and variax to another to do some crazy combinations. I will also be able to use just the mags or just the variax etc.

Or . . . .I may get the LP first and then do an explorer but with normal humbuckers like WBs or rio grandes etc.

On a side note does warmoth not make a carved top LP without contoured heel? I would really like a double bound LP. . .. .and on both the LP and explorer would also dig a flame lam top on the back!

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight!

I don't think I'd pay the premium for Brazilian rosewood unless there's a piece in the "Unique Choice" section that really makes you drool. I'd stick with the Indian rosewood if I wanted a rosewood fretboard. According to C.F. Martin, there's no difference in tone between the two, and those guys should know, especially since their whole thing is acoustics and tonewood species mean quite a bit more in that realm than they do in electrics.

Back