Equidistant

I can't check the speakers now but I'm in the cans that I always use.
I'd suggest discovering where the really muddy bottom end of the guitar is - not sure which one -
but EQ that down so it's not messing with the bass. The bass is also too "large."

Everything is much better at 1:24 after the change.

EQ is *mainly* how you make separation and space between the tracks.
Right now it often sounds like a pile up with everything all in the same pile.

As a test, go way way overboard with the EQ - make it so that there is very obvious space between the tracks.
Make it sound like each track was recorded on a $19.00 portable Radio Shack mono cassette machine.
Then dial it back to a more 'modern' sound.
That will give you more of an idea how to clean up the instruments.

Most often, all you really need is the fundamentals, ( 400 to 1,600 ) to make it work.
All the rest is 'boom and twiz'.

If you want to make a track sound smaller turn it way down and then put a hump in the EQ between 400 and 640 and puck it up.
The turn that hump into a more pointed spike.

That will show you what EQ can do to the perceived 'size' of an instrument.

For this track try something like this with the bass.

1718696322062.png

Then try something like this with the solo guitar.
1718696559304.png

And similar but different with the rhythm guitar.

Listen for how to make them have their ~own space~ . . . in the mix.

Last edited:
I'll give these EQ curves a shot !

I like double-tracking my rhythm guitars. When I use my guitar with an Ibanez Super70 pickup (which is a thin, bright sounding pickup) I find that double-tracking just gets thicker and better sounding.

However, if I double-track with my JB pickup, I have to notch out 350Hz and 700Hz to get rid of buildup at those specific frequencies.

Now, when I double-track.. I'm panning the two tracks hard-left and hard-right.

Had a few minutes this morning before I had to head out.. I tried your suggestions on a track I recorded the other day.

I can see(hear) exactly what you mean about getting more heavy-handed on the EQ for individual tracks in order to "give each instrument it's own space".

Lots to learn.

Thanks Steve !

Back