Driftwood/Whitewash Finish

Gweedz

Just wanted to share my latest custom guitar - the "Les Paul-o-caster" with a driftwood/whitewash finish.

Took the pickups, bridge, and toggle switch of a Les Paul, and combined it with the neck, body, and 1 volume/1 tone knob set-up of a Telecaster (with a rosewood fretboard, for a slightly “darker” tone).

The body was a blank poplar Warmoth slab Tele (wasn't sure if I could pull off the finish correctly, so I chose the cheapest wood possible. Ha. The next one will be with either ash or possibly mahogany with a maple top for a truer Les Paul tone).

Finish wasn't too hard to create.

Supplies:
- Driftwood Weathering Wood Finish - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BDAMQ62/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00
- One wax candle
- White Chalk Paint - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075JPRWXL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
- Heat Gun (or hair dryer in a pinch)
- Duct tape
- Spray-on clear coat finish of your choice

1) Apply 1 coat of the Driftwood Finish to give it a gray, weathered stain and bring out the grain a little more. Use 2 coats if you want it darker.
2) After the stain dries, rub a candle (yes, any candle will do) against the body in straight, parallel lines, in the direction of the grain.
3) Apply a thick, opaque layer of white chalk paint.
4) After the paint dries (about 1 hour), use the heat gun to warm up the layer of wax under the paint, apply a strip of duct tape in the same direction as the grain, wait a few seconds, then peel off. This will create the broken, distressed look.
5) Repeat until the whole body is done.
6) (Optional) Lightly sand in strategic spots to fine-tune the look of wear and tear.
7) Apply final finishing coat. I chose a satin finish to keep it more weathered looking, and not too glossy.

Best of luck!

Attachments

• IMG_8040.JPG
    IMG_8040.JPG
    649.3 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_8037.JPG
    IMG_8037.JPG
    843.1 KB · Views: 637
That is an extremely cool look.  Well done.  You'll definitely be the only kid on your block with an axe like that.

Gweedz said:
4) After the paint dries (about 1 hour), use the heat gun to warm up the layer of wax under the paint, apply a strip of duct tape in the same direction as the grain, wait a few seconds, then peel off. This will create the broken, distressed look.

Who knew you could give your guitar a bikini wax?

Back