Don't you hate it...

Mor Paul

Epic Member
Don't you hate it when stuff pops up? Stuff that gets in the way of guitars.
My computer is crapping out on me. I'm thinking it's the RAM, but the monitor's been slowly dying, the cooling has never worked properly, and the battery is dead. So, yeah. The RAM (I think) is keeping me from starting the thing up, unless I get lucky and get to open a window or two, start doing something, and THEN have the thing cut off.
Oh, I've got a birthday in 5 days.
So, now I've got a dilemma.

I can work on my second Warmoth, to remedy everything I would have changed in my #1.
OR
I can work on building an amp, my first real one
OR
I can get my computer working, or at least get closer to getting a new one.

(  :doh: )

Fix the computer - but... ram seldom dies... usually its cooling.

Get a ram checker and run diagnostics... that'll tell you for sure

I'm not sure if I can check the RAM. I would check it on my computer, but I can't start it up  :sad1:

I had a similar dilemma recently Max, and ended up buying a new PC.

My old PC was groaning under the weight of the larger files and having to process video files - it had onboard graphics only.

Even when I put more RAM in it, it only made a moderate improvement. And I'm guessing that if you are having troubles getting the computer to start up, that maybe the power supply unit is getting old and maybe less efficient?

I *would* have liked to have bought a better reference monitor system for my music, or started a Strat renovation project, or had some work done around my home, but the new system was very well priced and had a very welcomed helping hand in selecting the parts, by a guy at work who had the running knowledge of the PC hardware stuff (much like we do here about stuff related to guitars I guess), and was praising the new Windows 7 OS too. So I jumped in, trusted a workmate to do the right thing by me and I now have a great system. Huge 24" monitor, graphics card, newish processor, 1TB of disc etc..... All for $1480 Aust. I am pleased, and Daniel at work will be getting a Christmas Present from me (he refused to accept payment for piecing it all together).

Maybe hassle parents for a new PC if you can stretch it, surely the prices of new systems must be at an all time low what with Windows 7 just being released, the economy being ina lull over in the USA, and Christmas approaching. :dontknow:

Actually, the computer I've been using is maybe 4 years old now. I got it between 7th and 8th grade. I worked for half a year to get the money. And I think that's the last time my parents loaned me money...

I may try to get some sympathy out of them, but it stinks that my main opportunity to get components for the amp build is going to have to wait...

Max said:
Actually, the computer I've been using is maybe 4 years old now...

Judging by the amount of posts you've put here, you must have spent agreat deal of time on your PC, mate, already! You've probably crammmed ten years of work on your PC into those 4! :toothy11: :laughing7:

OzziePete said:
Max said:

Judging by the amount of posts you've put here, you must have spent agreat deal of time on your PC, mate, already! You've probably crammmed ten years of work on your PC into those 4! :toothy11: :laughing7:
77 days, 18 hours, 4 minutes.

And I run more on my laptop than it needs :p Photoshop, tons of internet tabs, iTunes, IM, Email, office programs, interface modifying programs.

It has a gig of RAM, so it normally runs decently.
Or was it two gigs... I think just one.

Max said:
OzziePete said:
Max said:

77 days, 18 hours, 4 minutes.

That's just this forum Max. What about all the others, lol! Bet you also trawl through Facebook and Twitter too.

I've never twittered, and not a big facebooker. I normally just have my IM hooked up to my facebook account, so... no need to troll that site.

Max said:
I've never twittered, and not a big facebooker. I normally just have my IM hooked up to my facebook account, so... no need to troll that site.

OK, I get your point but back OT, it is frustrating when something like a PC - that is usually so seamless in it's use and application - starts mucking up. Worse still is when you have to fork out serious $ to get the problem fixed & forgo things you would rather spend $$ on.

If you are keen enough to work with electronics and build your own amp, maybe you could build your own PC out of parts? May save a fair bit doing that, rather than buying off the shelf and having to compromise your specs.

Yeah, I could build a PC from parts if I wanted, but it's out of my budget.
Right now, I'm not after something high-end. But a laptop is pretty important, and I can't build those from scratch. Anyone's company recently upgraded, and selling their old laptops?

Argh. I've been running a RAM test, and my computer hasn't
1. Shut off
2. Shown any errors.

Crap... it was a test on startup, so it might be a software issue.
Grr...
After this second pass on the test, I guess I'll boot up again, and start uninstalling. There hasn't been any updates, but whenever it cuts off randomly, it may give that green shield saying it has had an important update  :tard:
And it can't update itself. I've had to fix it before, it's how I got SP3 on there. I hope I don't need to install that.. it's been on there a while.

When RAM goes bad the system usually tells you so and won't allow you to boot. It's happened to me twice, happened on the Dell laptop I got last year. It had 4 gigs, so I pulled one module and have been using it with 2 gigs ever since. Was very slow with Vista but seems far faster under Win 7. I'm thinking of going back to 4 gig, maybe win 7 will be even faster.

Max said:
Don't you hate it when..

Max, I'm sorry, I think I've corrupted your mind with all my complaining over IM.
No, wait, I finally got you to complain about something! Ha! I knew you would finally show emotion about something someday!
:icon_jokercolor: :toothy12:

Can you get your hands on a copy of Hirens?  There's a decent number of tools on it that'll help check the hardware.

At least if its a software issue, you can still build that guitar.

What is it doing exactly?

Well, this is confusing. I ran a RAM check, and the computer didn't cut off on me. Then, I started Windows, and it hadn't cut off even overnight. System restore didn't do anything, so let's see what happens. Maybe I'll get that amp after all.

When unexplainable issues start happening with computers I have found the problem usually lies with the power supply.

So you should upgrade and get new comp right away! :laughing7:

If the ram check came out clean. It might not be a horrible idea to reformat and reinstall the OS/etc. Getting a clean start every now and then can smooth things out a bit.

Back