Does this look odd to you?

stratamania

Mythical Status
Here is a two-piece mahogany body which I have been looking at for a while. For me, the colour is great as is the grain pattern, but to me, it does not look quite right as the grain lines are not running in line with the centre line.

I know it is probably done to maximize what can be built from the available wood but just wondering what others think.

Does this look odd to you?
Or would it not bother you?

PS12543B.jpg

its more visible by the neck plate.    You can even notice below the trem route.

What does the front look like.  By no means is this a deal breaker....I have seen much worse.

This is the front.

I suppose if there are a neckplate and a trem cavity cover the grain at the back may look slightly different.

PS12543C.jpg

nice top....go for it.  Only you will ever see it and it is VERY minor.  Ever the best guitars have a line where they meet.  I just hate when it is not dead center.

Would not bother me, the front is superb, and it is the front that you see when you play. Would be gassing for it if it was a bass

the top is nice enough.

Sometimes some un-perfection can be a deal breaker for me, I haven't buy any Mooncaster yet, as this 2 I like got some un-perfection on bottom:

MP617a.jpg

MP635a.jpg

I don't have any problem with the grain not aligning with the centerline. I think it looks nice. Once you start putting things on it, it goes off center anyway. In fact, the grain in my current build is more offset than that.

bEPVNEA.jpg

@Hendrix, yes I can see that on those tops although the deep red one I think looks good.

@Rgand, on your offset build, that grain pattern being also offset looks right for that body.

I don't really have a problem with any of it.
It's the random-ness of wood that makes it so alluring to me.
It makes every piece unique.

That's a gorgeous top! I wouldn't see the back as a problem either, I mean, it's the back and it still looks pretty good. Like you said, great color too. Grab it before someone else does!  :icon_thumright:

Tomatonator said:
I thought of this thread when I saw this in the showcase. A bit different colour - brown vs red and has an American Standard trem rout already but otherwise very similar and straight grain alignment on the back:
http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?Body=2&Shape=1&Type=1&Path=Stratocaster,Standard&bridgeRout=4&i=PS12978

Thanks for thinking of me. I had noticed that one in the showcase myself and immediately thought if only it was cherry burst.

And the seasoning that goes with it. Oh no now the thread has turned to thoughts of food  :eek:ccasion14:

I assume when there is a seperate top that is when they make the back a solid color like black to hide the wood seams. But I agree as long as the top is right the back doesn't matter.

WindsurfMaui said:
I assume when there is a seperate top that is when they make the back a solid color like black to hide the wood seams. But I agree as long as the top is right the back doesn't matter.

When a back is a solid color with a good looking top with a nice grain pattern, then yes it does not matter but personally, I think when a back has the grain visible it needs to look right to the person who knows it is there.

Clearly, it is all subjective and what matters to one would not to another.

Back