Does anyone build mooncasters?

They are indeed kinda spendy, but I got to play one that a guitar shop owner I know up in Los Gatos, California, built on spec - and it was REALLY NICE. A little smaller than the corresponding Fender body, I think - but very comfortable to hold and play, at least while seated. I did not play it with a strap. If you can get over the cost, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Ok just built one through the website, and wow yes they are pricey.

I may build one of these instead of buying an SG though, for my workhorse humbucking guitar.

@The Aaron you gotta do a video on these things!

I loves me some mooncasters... basses. The vintage tint swamp ash second from the right is the one I pick up the most.

GXVUFp2.jpg

I recognize that vintage tint swamp ash from your build thread. That's probably the only thread I've ever seen with a mooncaster here.

You're clearly a fan. What do you like/dislike about them?

I can't speak for anyone else, but for me I like them like the jazzmaster body ... it's a little bit bigger, so if you're bigger person it's easier to hold, your arm gets to rest on something, comfort, plus with the offset it's easier to play sitting down. Also, there's the style thing, if you like that Jetson's future / retro look .... Other people may like them for other reasons.

I like the look of these, but as others have said, they are rather expensive.

The other thing is, I don't think any of the available headstock shapes look quite right with the body.

I like the look of these, but as others have said, they are rather expensive.

The other thing is, I don't think any of the available headstock shapes look quite right with the body.
I was thinking that I had an extra strat neck, so I might as well build a mooncaster, but then I realized it would look quite silly.

I imagine tilt-back Warhead or Warmoth headstock would look ok.

I was thinking that I had an extra strat neck, so I might as well build a mooncaster, but then I realized it would look quite silly.

I imagine tilt-back Warhead or Warmoth headstock would look ok.
The thing is you just ordered a new strat neck as you aren't really into the Fender one you have (frets/gloss) and I get that. For me, the neck makes the guitar to a large degree. Don't get an expensive body and put a neck you don't dig on it or you'll never play it IMO.

The thing is you just ordered a new strat neck as you aren't really into the Fender one you have (frets/gloss) and I get that. For me, the neck makes the guitar to a large degree. Don't get an expensive body and put a neck you don't dig on it or you'll never play it IMO.
Oh I actually meant I would eventually put my new neck onto a Mooncaster. But then I realized it would look silly.

Back