Do I need string trees?

O

Orange Tortex

I ordered a Slapshot neck with R3 Floyd prep shelf w/ mounting holes. Will I have to install string trees or will my bridge come with a retainer bar? I ordered a Floyd straight from Warmoth.

You don't need string trees. The Floyd should come with a retainer bar which has the purpose of making sure the strings are at the correct angle across the nut so that when you tighten the lock nuts down there should not be much if any change of pitch.

As Stratamania said, the Floyd bridge kit comes with the retainer bar. Be sure to install it, as, just as Stratamania said, when you tighten down the string clamps, if you don’t have it…all six of your strings are guaranteed to go sharp, and then you’re playing a guessing game as to where they should be, and finishing up with taking some of the travel out of your fine tuners. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I installed locking tuners…on my Floyd Rose equipped Soloist, just to cut down on the string change time.

Anyway, yes the bridge kit comes with the retainer bar and screws for it. If memory serves (DON’T just go and drill this hole, please measure), a 5/64 bit was PERFECT for those particular screws, at least the ones mine came with, and I just bought it a couple months back (installed it last week).

Check out Kahler's Floyd replacement nut with the string guide built in.  I really hate retainer bars, and and the Kahler is an awesome solution.

https://www.kahlerusa.com/locking-nuts-and-string-locks-6-string

amon said:
Check out Kahler's Floyd replacement nut with the string guide built in.  I really hate retainer bars, and and the Kahler is an awesome solution.

https://www.kahlerusa.com/locking-nuts-and-string-locks-6-string

What the WHAT??! That IS a great solution, IF it’s a drop in replacement for a Floyd nut. Do you know if it is or not, so long as the correct corresponding size is chosen (ie will the mounting holes that are already there for the Floyd nut line up with this Kahler, and is the string spacing the same, etc.)? I’m intrigued, because I already finished my build, but if it’s a drop in replacement…I would try one for sure. ?

I am told by Chris at 812 Guitars (find him on Insta and FB) that it is a direct drop-in replacement.

amon said:
I am told by Chris at 812 Guitars (find him on Insta and FB) that it is a direct drop-in replacement.

I called and talked to him the other day, and he kind of said the opposite…that it’s not usually a straight drop in replacement. He said sometimes they are though. I might buy one just to check out the dimensions and see what it’s about, but my guitar has only been built for a week or two; I doubt I’ll want to start mucking with filling and drilling on it already, but I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Back