Do bound necks still need a fret dress?

Ilsenhab

Hi There - thinking about a Warmoth neck with cream binding and stainless steel frets.

Do the frets still need to be dressed or leveled/beveled, or are they 'tucked' into the binding like on a Gibson?

Also - I'm guessing one could contact Warmoth and ask for a dark wood veneer or black finish to be applied to the Hombre headstock - any idea how much that costs?

Thank you,
S

Ilsenhab said:
Hi There - thinking about a Warmoth neck with cream binding and stainless steel frets.

Nice!  You'll really like the stainless frets.

Ilsenhab said:
Do the frets still need to be dressed or leveled/beveled, or are they 'tucked' into the binding like on a Gibson?

Those two things don't really relate to each other.  Wether or not frets on the board require levelling is independent on how the frets meet up with the binding.  If you are really picky about your action, then yes you will need to level and dress your frets.  I personally never have, but YMMV.  BTW, Warmoth installs frets over top of the neck binding.

Ilsenhab said:
Also - I'm guessing one could contact Warmoth and ask for a dark wood veneer or black finish to be applied to the Hombre headstock - any idea how much that costs?

Yes they do this kind of thing all the time.  No idea how much the upcharge is - best to contact them about that.

Ilsenhab said:

Thank you,
S

I almost always order necks with veneers; it's been in the $40-$60 range from memory for many woods. Super highly figured maple was extra (decided to stick to the base figuring which is usually, but not always, excellent)

The stainless steel frets on my moon didn't need to be dressed or anything, they were ready to go out of the box. It's bound in tortoise but that doesn't really matter for that.

I thought about getting a green maple veneer on the headstock to match the body, but decided to go with natural walnut and it really turned out nicely so I am pleased with the choice. I don't think it would look better with a green headstock in my case.

As with any new guitar I bring mine, after I put them together, to a pro who does a full set up.  Makes sense, no?

I don’t automatically do a fret dress on every new neck, if I can get it set up properly without it. Or sometimes I will spot level. Unrelated to blinding or lack of.

Back