Disco Scottie's First Build: The Adventure Begins

Disco Scottie

It's funny how you think you know what you want, but then things change.

When I started hanging out here, I had every intention of creating a guitar completely from scratch... the body, the neck, everything would be custom ordered. I was always thinking quilt maple top, PRS style stoptail, Standard Thin neck, exotic wood to keep unfinished and 22 frets among other specifics. So there was no way I would buy one of those pre-done things from the Showcase. I mean, come on, how could any of those compare to what I was planning?

The first big decision I made was to go with a 7/8 body/neck combo. I've been playing PRS for many years, and I prefer the shorter scale. This meant I would have to go with a 24 fret neck, which was not a huge deal. I started looking around the Showcase just to get an idea of what they stocked there. I certainly wasn't going to buy one. Heaven's no! But from the very first look, I had a problem. There was this S body:

z_showcasepage_body.jpg

It was all wrong - Zebrawood? What is that? And I don't want a tune-o-matic. Obviously not for me.

And so every day for weeks now, I'd keep coming back to this body. Little by little my internal argument machines worked their magic, the power of convincing becoming stronger and stronger. It wasn't long before my bizarre questioning of zebrawood turned to insatiable lust. The whole look, even the TOM became cooler and cooler with each viewing. But what about my "built from the ground up" custom I was planning? Well... I suppose I could always do that later on... in another build... (aw crap, now I'm addicted)

Finally I accepted this was "the one". And if that was the case, I might as well see if there's a neck that will work for me too. One of the nice things about shopping for 7/8 stuff in the Showcase is, you have a lot less pages to go through, and you only have one headstock choice. It didn't take long before a certain fretboard caught my eye:

z_showcasepage_neck.jpg

Here we go again. It's all wrong - 59 roundback? That's gonna be big! And birdseye maple sure isn't one of those unfinished exotics.

But that damn fretboard wouldn't leave me alone. It got worse when I mocked the two up together:

z_mockup_nat_plainstock.jpg

All I could think was  :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Which brings us to today. I called the big W and Spike got me all set up. I'm still trying to decide on fret size, so I have a 24 hour hold to make up my mind. I know they'll be stainless, but I'm torn between the frets on my PRS Custom 22 and my Suhr Pro. If anyone here has experience with both, and would like to offer size suggestions, I'm all ears.

I'm only ordering the body and neck right now, no hardware yet. I wasn't really ready to jump in this soon, but I knew I would hate myself forever if I didn't get these two... they just look too perfect together. One thing I still have to figure out is, if can I add a zebrawood laminate to the headstock - Spike says I can't because Showcase neck are already "dipped", but I don't know what that means. With that in mind, I've played around with a potential paint scheme. I might decide to keep it natural once I see it in person, but there are so many zebras like that. And I've always loved the original classic PRS color combo of vintage yellow with a trans red back:

prszijbodyui9.jpg

I didn't begin to try and make the colors perfect, but here's a rough idea of it (with natural masked binding):

z_mockup_color_lamstock.jpg

You can see on this one, I added the zebrawood laminate. So all this is subject to whatever happens. One thing is certain, however - she's gonna be my first. Wish me luck!

Yay! another 7/8! I'm going 7/8 all the way when I get to build mine.  :icon_thumright:

I have been admiring that body in the showcase for some time (not really quite my cup of tea, but it is an AMAZING piece of wood).

Quick update... I was finally able to sit down with the calipers tonight and measure the PRS and Suhr frets. The Suhrs are a little wider, but not by much. Based on the numbers I'm seeing, I'm gonna go with 6115 stainless. This will be my first SS guitar. Can't wait to see what the fuss is about!

I love that headstock design, it gives the guitar a real aggressive look.  I wanted to do a similar shape on my build, but I wouldn't be able to fit my decal on the ball of the headstock.  Don't rush deciding, just make sure it's right and what you want.  You have plenty of time to wait after the fact.  Good luck Disco Scottie!

That is going to be one sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet guitar when it's done. I vote for a light orange/yellow dye to bring out those beautiful streaks.

Hey hey, finally pulled the trigger!
Congrats.

That's going to be a very sweet axe indeed.

You can always take a bit of sandpaper to the neck to get the exact shape you are after.

James

Soooooo excited for this. I want a 7/8 guitar sooo bad. I was looking at that one for a long time too. Its gonna be amazing  :icon_thumright:

Congrats....going to be very nice! I love Zebrawood and didn't start out that way either. There must be some sort of psychotropic effect upon viewing the photos in some people? Just a theory.

I'm a Canary man myself. (raw canary neck with a pau ferro fretboard on a canary lam top 7/8 ash body . . . Black Brown Yellow burst)

B3Guy said:
I'm a Canary man myself. (raw canary neck with a pau ferro fretboard on a canary lam top 7/8 ash body . . . Black Brown Yellow burst)

A canary neck is part of my plan for build #2. Wait 'til you see what I'm gonna do with that guitar... but I better get through this one first!

I gave Spike the go-ahead today to install the 6115s. He says the neck will be ready in a couple days, so I should see it here around mid to the end of next week. Woo hoo!  :blob7:

Not a fan of the Warhead headstocks, but seeing the mockup here it looks like it should work out pretty well.

jay4321 said:
Not a fan of the Warhead headstocks, but seeing the mockup here it looks like it should work out pretty well.

I've really come to like it quite a bit. It's one of the few "strat influenced" designs that doesn't look ridiculous. I think W got this one right.

With at least a Suhr and PRS in your arsenal, what made you want to start building your own guitar?  I guess that question could be asked of all the forum participants.  BTW, nice looking first project!

[Well, I re-read your initial post and you pretty much answered my question there.  Getting exactly what we want and having fun with tthe build must be the primary reasons for going this route.  I decided I could get greater value building a few guitars on my own than buying that next great guitar that I really want . . . a Heritage H535 semi-hollow body.]

RiverCity28 said:
With at least a Suhr and PRS in your arsenal, what made you want to start building your own guitar?  I guess that question could be asked of all the forum participants.  BTW, nice looking first project!

[Well, I re-read your initial post and you pretty much answered my question there.  Getting exactly what we want and having fun with tthe build must be the primary reasons for going this route.  I decided I could get greater value building a few guitars on my own than buying that next great guitar that I really want . . . a Heritage H535 semi-hollow body.]

I'm just never satisfied.  :toothy12:

I've got a bunch of guitars, it's not like I need another one. But I've always dreamed about what I would put together if I called all the shots. This first build is kinda outside of that, as it's a "gotta have it" Showcase purchase... which is probably a better way to start off. I can learn on this one and be much better at it when I do my exact build. That one is a while down the road, as it will cost quite a bit more. So my next one will be a design of mine, just not the "ultimate" one.

Velcro said:
Any ideas on pickups, machineheads etc. yet?

I should have mentioned this stuff initially. Here's what I know it will have:

Sperzel tuners
Suhr Aldrich pickup set
3-way blade switch
1 volume, 1 tone; tone will push-pull to split both hums
TonePros locking TOM bridge
PRS style strap pins (which is really just a Fender bass string retainer)

As of now all hardware will be black. Depending on final color choice, I might go chrome, so I'm not ordering any of it yet. Definitely not gold on this one... that's for another build. Why only a 3-way switch? I have other guitars with two hums and a 5-way, and I find I don't use the other settings that much. This will be the same as the McCarty wiring from PRS, which as you can tell by now I like. There's a possibility I might decide to go 5-way... again, waiting to purchase until I know for certain.

I guess I'm about 80% of the way to knowing what the finished product will be. Once I have the body in hand, I can determine if I'll keep it natural, or go with the colors. I've been arguing back and forth with myself about it for a while now. Then I have to decide about the neck... oil only, satin finish, gloss finish? So many decisions!

You know what my three favorite words are?

OUT FOR DELIVERY

Think I'll go sit on the front porch and wait for the brown truck.

So before I lay my virginal guitar assembling hands on The Zebra, I figured I better get a little experience on something I won't be so worried about damaging. Thanks to eBay, I was able to gather everything I needed for around $100, including this painted body and satin-finished neck:

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2375.jpg

No idea what the origin of the body is. And no clue as to what kind of wood. It's got a few things already done, but I'll have to drill screw holes for the bridge, pickguard and input jack. The neck and all the other parts are fresh from China. Oh, and I'll have to drill the mounting holes on the neck as well. Here's kinda what it's going to look like:

IMG_2376.jpg

The neck actually feels really nice, the satin finish is great for being so cheap. The fit at the neck joint is nice and tight... I was able to pick up the body by holding the neck! Not bad for next to nothing. I feel much better knowing I can do my first drilling on this instead of my beautiful Warmoth. I'm sure I'll do okay, but a little practice never hurts.

I guess we'll just consider this a "sub-build" of my first W build.  :glasses9:

Back