Descendant Vibrato - Jazzmaster/Jaguar trem - first look

Fat Pete

First saw these on Instagram fitted to Waterslide guitars (who I found via Mojo UK pickups). I haven't seen them mentioned here, so in case anyone's interested, here are some photos and first impressions. No option at the moment to install, so can't actually comment on the performance or feel etc.

The main USPs are that the default setup gives a sharper break angle (and/or a lower bridge/less need for neck shimming), as the strings 'descend' further into the unit. This aspect is somewhat adjustable - see below. It also has adjustable arm tension, accessible from the top, and front-loading strings.

These came direct from Swope Guitars. (They are also now available from James' Home Of Tone in the UK.) US price is $175, so just a smidge less than a Mastery. £220 from the UK supplier.

I can't see any info on materials etc., but it appears to be nicely machined from stainless steel. Fit and finish look very good, but there are a couple of small marks on the arms.

jkabcI0.jpg

They're supplied in a little drawstring bag with the arm loose, mounting screws and an allen key, photocopied instruction sheet. A small additional photocopied insert states that a modification to the arm allows it to be removed and replaced without changing the swing tension.

du4AcOA.jpg

x3ki0Dw.jpg

hWTfySf.jpg

PgUxAYS.jpg

You can just about make out how the strings front-load:

f1qVnve.jpg

Side view showing the 'drop plates' - two approx. 1 mm shims. You can remove one or both to reduce the break angle. The instructions recommend installing it as supplied initially.

9HFsnOv.jpg

I’m intrigued, thanks for posting the link. I will look forward to seeing what you build around it  :icon_thumright:

That is some nice looking machining work on those. Not the easiest thing with stainless.

Very cool. I might consider this for a future Jazzmaster build instead of the mastery tremolo.

Back