Derek Trucks Inspired Velocity

Looks good so far. What do you have planned for the top of the body?

Also, I have used both products for finishing but I was wondering why follow up Danish Oil, with Tru-Oil?

Looks incredible. What did you sand the grain filler with?
i dilute it with water and apply the grain filler with a rag, so it goes on pretty thin (lesson learned from my first build). I used 5”synthetic sanding discs on a round sanding block … I think I started with 220, then went up to 600. I only go as low as I need to work off the filler without having to apply a lot of pressure.

Looks good so far. What do you have planned for the top of the body?

Also, I have used both products for finishing but I was wondering why follow up Danish Oil, with Tru-Oil?

i’m doing the same with the top. I went with a natural masked binding, so taped off the top and started with the back.

I feel like danish oil and tru oil have slight finishing differences … the danish oil penetrates well but doesn’t really build up much. The tru oil seems to offer more surface protection. Also, I like the contrasting colors as it seems to help with giving depth to the grain (At least in my mind:).

Question for the group …. I need to clean up the natural masked binding in some places …. Any tips? maybe a thin file?

i’m doing the same with the top. I went with a natural masked binding, so taped off the top and started with the back.

I feel like danish oil and tru oil have slight finishing differences … the danish oil penetrates well but doesn’t really build up much. The tru oil seems to offer more surface protection. Also, I like the contrasting colors as it seems to help with giving depth to the grain (At least in my mind:).

Okay, I get the idea.

That is sexy as all get-out. Beautiful work. Totally unlike the crimson SG with which Derek Trucks is associated, but also totally evocative of it. Keep on updating us, we love our guitar-build pr0n.

Here’s where the body is at … it’s 2 coats of Crystalac in. I‘ll probably put a few more on tomorrow, let it cure, then buff it out. I got the last bit of hardware today, so I’ll post a mock-up tomorrow. Will probably solder the pots and capacitors tomorrow too.

That looks awesome!

I miss the build phase of my VIP. Makes me want to buy another warmoth just for the finishing part. This gets addictive.

Amazing work!

Back